IQ and Art and Stitch

Kari

I am still in the investigation stage of purchasing IQ. For those that have it, do you also have Art and Stitch (which allows you to digitize patterns)? For those that have Art and Stitch on what proportion of your quilts do you use it? Or is there any other program out there that you prefer?

I've been playing with the trial version of Art and Stitch and it seems very versatile.

Kari

I own a CompuQuilter and Art and Stitch (and Pro-Q Designer). Art and Stitch is a wonderful program and fairly easy to learn to use. I love using the program to create my own digitized quilting patterns and also to layout the quilting design on quilts I want to custom quilt (I only quilt for myself). Pro-Q Designer can do most of what I wanted but I still needed to have another drawing program (I loved Pre-Design Studio, also by Loes van der Heijden) to do my basic design of the pattern. Once I had my design drawn out, I would then bring it into Pro-Q Designer to fine tune and convert to the cqp format. Also, Pro-Q Designer, in my opinion, is a very difficult program to learn. Art and Stitch allows me to draw my design, save it to any computerized quilting or embroidery format quite easily.

Art and Stitch is included when you purchase a Compu-Quilter!

I have Art and Stitch and it is a great program. I don't think you'd need it, though, unless you are really interested in digitizing your own designs from scratch because the internal editing capabiliites of IQ are generally more than enough for the manipulating you'll do most of the time with designs.

For example, click here to take a look at Annie's alien quilt. She bought a panto that had lots of aliens and stars combined with a meandering line. Using the editing capabilities that come with IQ, she just used "split" to cut out the aliens she wanted for her blocks. She isolated each alien using IQ's own editing capabilities and then plopped them into her blocks. There wasn't a need to export those patterns into another piece of software to make those edits. IQ comes equipped to edit designs within the software!

Or, let's say you have a block design you like but you really need only a half block or a quarter block to fit in the space you have available. Well, just use the IQ software itself and cut away the unneeded portion of the block to make the design you are want.

Sure, you can buy a border and a corner and a sashing and a block and a panto of the same collection but with IQ, you could also just buy one or two of those items and use the modify screen to break out designs, recombine them and move the start/end points where you need them to be.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've never brought a design from IQ into Art and Stitch to manipulate or edit it. There is no need to do that. I can do everything right on the tablet without any additional software.

I use Art and Stitch to create my own personal designs from the ground up so I can save them in any format and share them as I see fit (or sell them).

I would venture to guess that most IQ owners don't also own Art and Stitch. It just isn't necessary unless you want to start designing your own patterns and need to be able to export them in different formats.

HTH!

Guest Linda S

You can do a lot of designing with the IQ itself. I have the trial version of Art and Stitch and will be taking a class at MQX to decide if I wish to purchase it or not. I do own Embird, which allows me to do some design and then save files in .iqp format, so that might be workable too.

I like to do a lot of changing, combining and other manipulation of patterns. Instead of spending the $$$ on Art & Stitch I plan on taking individual private digitizing classes online with Suzanne Moreno. She teaches how to use the AutoSketch Cad program to create & modify designs. IQ is based on Cad programing. I am taking her IQ class now.

I would recommend taking Suzanne's comprehensive IQ class and then using the IQ for a year to see what types of quilting you like most before investing all the $$ in Art & Stitch. The best thing is to completely learn everything one tool can do before adding another you may not even need.

You will be amazed at all IQ can do!

I use both both Pro-Q and Art n Stitch. I found that when I tweaked designs too much in IQ, IQ rebelled so if I want to do general changes and designs items, IQ is perfect. When it is time to really work on a design - layout, lots of tweaking, then Art n Stitch to the recuse. I like Pro-Q - does a great job but isn't as fully featured as Art n Stitch. Each has it's place. Pro-Q is coming out with an update but not sure when.

I think that the suggestion above to wait until you have used IQ for awhile prior to spending lots of money on additional programs is a good idea. Your quilting and how you go about it will determine whether the cost of additional programs is necessary. Then take the time to try out the trial versions prior to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, if you have Autosketch you shouldn't need Art and Stitch. Autosketch is all you should need to design/digitize patterns for computer guided machines. Also Suzanne Moreno has excellent lessons on Autosketch.

Statler uses Autosketch as well.

Archived