Favorite Sewing Machine??

Pfaff does have the machines with new technology without embroidery also. Check out the 4.0 Expression (I think).

I have Pfaffs and wouldn't switch unless some major things were changed. The dual feed is great. I have quilted with my Pfaffs and mended jeans where the rip is right next to the back pocket or the heavy seams. I can zigzag on the heavy to the thin without my machine blinking an eye (or should that be stitch!) I can hem jeans and go right over the heavy seams to the regular weight fabrics and it still doesn't have a problem.

Piecing is great. I also have used them for the satin wedding dresses, velour, upholstry fabrics. Quality machines in my experience.

Check to see how close and how good your dealer is.

LOVE my Bernina 931, but it is heavy so I also have a Bernina Activa 145S that I take to retreats, etc. I'd love to get a 1230 to get more stitches since my 931 doesn't have the electronic stitch capabilities. Does anyone know anything about the 1630? Is it the same series as the 1230? Good reputation? My daughter has a Janome that was under $500 that she loves and I was impressed with too; not sure of the number.

20 years ago I bought a Janome Memory Craft 8000 which was an awesome machine, I sewed thousand of miles with it, I still have it but I wore it out! That machine never had any problems with it and sewed such a precise perfect stitch, it was a great machine. I have a Janome Jem Platinum 760 for taking to retreats which is also a great little stitching machine (perfect stitch). I just bought myself a Bernina 450 and I'm really liking it! I bought a Bernina because of all the good reviews I have heard...I made sure the model I bought was made in Switzerland.

I just bought the new 2012 Pfaff Creative Performance.

http://www.pfaffusa.com/31845.html

You have the option of NOT buying the embroidery unit. I just wanted a new Pfaff to sew and do some decorative stitches, but not embroidery.

This new machine has only been out for a month. Box Feed system plus Pfaff's IDT is really nice!

I traded in my older Pfaff. You might want to check it out.

Ok, there is really a big difference in machines. This is true. You have to decide what is "valuable" to you. Kenmore and Janome are made (or used to be) from the same company. Janome tends to take "Big Bites" when it sews. It is a workhorse and will take lots of use and abuse. The dual feed is good for machine quilting and it is heavy enough to stay still and let you be in control. Brother and Babylock are the same company so what one offers the other offers and they tend to "feel" the same while you sew. They do not take big bites and your machine will feel and sound smoother as you sew. (Of course any machine will become a dual feed if you just attach a walking foot.) The Pfaff tends to feel a bit more like the Brother and Babylock. The Husky is such a work horse and drives smoothly but I can't get away from the fact that it does not have a pressure foot lifter. A button does that for you and I am way too far into the game to ignore this change. Of course the Bernina is the top of the line but I can not justify the $$$$ it costs. Does any of this help you to see the difference in machines? I had a Janome 6600 but I just never could get past the "Big Bite" and I didn't like changing the feet from dual to normal (there is a big finger in the way you have to work around). Anyway, about 2 months ago I sold it for what I paid for it and bought a Babylock Espire. Now, I am in love all over again. I tend to like the less noisy machines that make a smoother run at things. You have to determine which fits your sewing personality best. Kinda like chocolate or vanilla icecream - Your favorite is out there you just have to determine what it is.

• 4 months later...

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. I have also had three different Kenmore machines. They are set up the same way, so it is simple to go from one machine to another. I also have the Janome 350 embroidery machine -- love it, too! Whatever you like and can afford is what will be the best for you to get. My machines have lots of feet and decorative stitches and the even feed works great for quilting. Good luck deciding! :)

Guest Linda S

Hmmm. This is an old thread, but I can't believe I didn't weigh in on it, as, I'm sure you all realize, I have an opinion on everything! ;) I have a Bernina 153QE which I absolutely love. It is a workhorse that will sew through anything. It has a whole bunch of stitches and you can change the stitches by hooking it up to the computer - I did have to get a serial to usb adapter to do that now, as the old cable doesn't work with today's newer computers. However, my Bernina, should I ever tire of it, could serve as a boat anchor. It is very heavy. I got a bit tired of packing it up and taking it to retreats, so in the spring I bought a Janome DC2012 - it's the basic computerized model, has about 50 stitches, some button holes, stitch width and length adjustable, and it's very light weight. I just leave it in my Tutto bag, so it's always ready to go to retreat, and the Bernina stays in my sewing room, in its Sylvia Cabinet, so it's always ready to sew when I am.

Have 2 1630 Bernina's and an old singer (one of the first with zig-zag stitch)). It has cams, was and is a workhorse and has never had a repair. Bought my second Bernina on e-bay and have loaned it to a niece who is learning to piece. It has many feet which did not come with the original purchase and it is in wonderful shape. Also, have an old serger which I use for serging fabric before I wash it. But I surely would like a Pfaff and would like to know good machine for machine applique. And besides my DH can hardly wait for me to buy another machine. He does all maintenance on Milli (I am so lucky).

Marilyn

Well, I have five Bernina's and I love them all. The one is my go to machine for everything is my 180E. It does have the embroidery module with it...which I used alot until I got a embroidery machine only...also a Bernina. I have taught alot of quilt classes and have seen many different models of machines. The ones that the ladies seem to have more trouble with are the less expensive brands. It seems that the more decorative stitches the higher the price. If you are just wanting a machine that will do basic things...and possibly a button hole stitch for applique, you might keep that in mind. I would suggest you take a couple of large sq's of fabric with you to try different machines with the stitches...also take some decorative threads with you so you know what machine will work well with some of those types of threads. I have spent several hours working on various projects trying out machines to see what one I like. Some of the newer models I don't care much for...high price and less workability.

Guest Linda S

Rumor here, so what I have to say could be wrong - take this with a grain of salt! I have heard that many of the newer model Berninas are no longer made in Switzerland, but in China or another Indonesian country and have, as a result, suffered in quality. As with any of the brands, I would suggest making sure you know where your machine was made before you purchase it. I am not saying that everything made in foreign lands is bad, you just might want to be sure you are getting the product you thought you were buying. In my book, a Bernina is a Swiss-made machine.

Dw loves her Bernina's, 640 & 220, she is sewing right now at a thousand stitches per minute! We have the 640 because it does embroidery. Bernina just came out with the 7 series and it has a large throat and dual feed. You can get the 710 without embroidery. I believe that the 6 series and up are still made in Switzerland. Bernina has a factory that they built and own in Thailand, the parts are made in Switzerland and assembled in Thailand. My dealer says that the machines coming out of Thailand are as good or better quality as the machines from Switzerland.

• 1 year later...

LOL, which is my fav depends on my day.. I think I use the the Burnette 40 (made by Janome for Bernina)

the most.. then would be the Viking D1, or the Wizzard made in 1956 or 1957 for Western Auto.  It sews quite

nice and has even stitches.

I also have and like a treadle, New Home from 1938, I'm  looking to sell.. just no room for it.

I also have the manual and receipt for the treadle and a few attachments.

Then I have the Singer 99K, which is identical to the first machine I ever bought

and then the feather weight.  Love them all and use all but the treaddle, off and on.

So I guess it just depends.. no not the kind that are worn..

LOL,

Rita

Archived