Tension Flatlining

jrwsma

I may be confusing myself unnecessarily, but I recently read an article in Machine Quilting Unlimited (May/June 2012) written by Todd Fletcher. The article was interesting on many levels but as I was reading it, he explained the reason that the flatlining problem is more prevelant when quilting in a right-to-left direction or away from yourself on machines with a rotary hook assembly.

George's manual advises us to plan quilting so that you can generally follow the "right to left, away from you" guidelines when possible.

This seems to be contrary to Mr. Fletcher's advice.

Does anyone have better luck quilting in one direction or the other when using George. There is still "tension" between us. Thanks.

Laura in OH

Laura,

The reason George's direction is slightly contrary to what you read in the article is that he is sitting in a cabinet. If you would imagine putting him on a Longarm guilting frame, then when you push fabric through the throat, it is like pushing the machine to the right when a the machine is on the frame. However, when you push fabric INTO the throat of George then that is the same as pulling him TOWARD you if he was in a frame.

It might help to imagine sitting at George's nose as if he were in a frame instead of sitting at his side to help you see that you are actually doing the same thing as the frame machines with the recommended fabric movement on George.

To help with tension, try running the bobbin much looser than you might feel comfortable so that you can tighten the top tension. Also use a 4.0 needle to help reduce flex. Just give me a call when you can be at the machine and we will get it straightened out!

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Dawn. I did try to get the longarm/directional concept in my mind while reading the article, but your explanation was much more helpful than the author's. But then he doesn't know George like you do.

I did do some experimenting yesterday afternoon and got some pretty good results (Sew Fine in both top and pre-wound Sew Fine in bobbin). I refuse to give up on love. :))

Next project has some more challenging thread so you just may be hearing from me in the not-too-distant future.

Again, thank you for your clear and concise descriptive reply. I'll get it going on one of these days.

Laura in OH

P.S. Enjoyed a segment of you and Mary Fons on "Love of Quilting" (PBS) a few weeks ago. Great stuff.

Archived