What to quilt first

I have a small quilt that the blocks are on point - some have embroidered flowers in the center - some are nine patch - four are just plain solid lite purple fabric. The main background fabric is black. It has a two inch inner border of purple and four inch outer border of black. Sorry could not post a picture.

Anyway I would like to quilt leaves in the outer border - scroll in the linner border. SID around the blocks & nine patch - meander around applique - and use stencils in the plain purple blocks. Plus the backing is pale purple.

How do you stablize the quilt? Do you baste the whole quilt then do all the other quilting? What color thread? Bobbin color?

I always match my bobbin to my top thread no matter the color of the backing. I know some use different colors but I choose to not have to think about it.

I usually stablize as I go. I hardly ever stabilize the whole thing beforehand, esp a small quilt.

You may have to change thread colors, black on the backround and a purple that would go with all the other purples. But then a dark purple might go with it all. kinda depends on how light the purple is. I audition thread by puddling it up on the fabric and see what I think.

Too bad you can't post a pic. would be easier to help if we could see your quilt.

HTH!

Im no expert but ill chime in here You definitely want to baste the edges and I baste mine as I advance the quilt. If you're going to be doing background fills then you would want to SID around the blocks to stabilize the quilt then go back to do the fillers. I like to pool thread on the quilt to audition thread color, like LeeAnn suggests. Black thread on the black fabric would be my choice and a thread that matches closely to the other fabrics everywhere else. I would suggest that you take digital photos of the completed quilting as you go along so you remember what and how you stitched (or orientation of the stencil) - it saves you from having to roll the quilt back to view what you've already completed - which is a pain in my opinion! Have fun!

Thank you all for the suggestions - hopefully I can pull this off. My mind sees it - hopefully my hands will. My friend made this small quilt for her sister-in-law who lives in Hawaii. I can do pantos in my sleep but want to branch out.

Thank you all again - this forum is the best.

Archived