IQ questions

quiltingkimmy

Hello all,

I have been informed by the owner at my LQS that the main quilter at the shop is moving, and to be ready for a lot more business! Which has started me thinking about adding an IQ to my Lenni, I do pantographs, no custom now. So I'm wondering:

1) Benefits of an IQ system for panto business?

2) Rate increase for IQ over handguided pantos?

3) Do I need a table upgrade? (10' regular table)

4) Average time for completing a twin with IQ

5) How many quilts can you reasonably do in a week with the IQ?

Any other IQ helpful hints would be welcomed too!

thanks!!

When I added IQ to my business, I did not increase my rates. In fact, I have been having "sales" on E2E because the IQ makes it so easy.

From what I am seeing in your signature line, you already have the IQ carriage for your Lenni, so no, you would not "need" a new table, unless you want a 12' in order to do King size quilts.

Doing a panto only on a twin can be very quick. It all depends on the density of the design, how fast you load, etc. you could easily do one in about 3 hours, probably less, maybe more. Lots of variables there.

Can't really tell you how many you can do a week, how many hours do you work at it? I can do a king a day, but I have alot of distractions like the forum and phone, etc, :D I only quilt maybe 6 hours a day, if that.

Using the IQ for pantos only will really free up your time. You can piece or clean or do paperwork, whatever, while your IQ is doing the work for you. It takes the strain off of your body, reduces your stress level cause you know you can knock out those quilts quickly and precisely.

I have a panto only version and a full version and can discuss the differences with you if you'd like.

Lorraine Harnish in PA is probably your closest dealer. You can find her on the IQ site or on the APQS main site under dealers. She is an APQS dealer and IQ dealer.

HTH

Kimberly, I am a relatively new quilte and longarmer....... I have a millenium with an IQ.

Love the IQ, because of it's precision in general. I have not put in years of practicing free motion like some of you have. Also love being able to clean, piece, pay bills, plan a new project, etc, while IQ is making a pass.

On the other hand, it has many capabilities and you can get some hours in doing more dense, custom type designs.

Just an opinion...........

Guest Linda S

What Patty said! I used to do a quilt or two a week before getting my IQ. The first week I had my IQ, I did five quilts, and I was still working full time. No need to change your pricing. Just know that eventually, you'll be able to lay out more custom designs and you'll probably want to add some new price brackets for that!

Patti gave you some wonderful advice so.. ditto to what she said. :)

Here are some other thoughts.

1) Benefits of an IQ system for panto business?

You can work on other things while IQ is stitching away!

2) Rate increase for IQ over handguided pantos?

No, I do not think you should have a rate increase for computer guided. If anything, your customers will think there is less work and therefore they should be charged less $$. I would keep your rates the same. I charge 2 cents/sq inch. See what the going rate is in your area.

3) Do I need a table upgrade? (10' regular table)

The only reason you might think of a table upgrade is just so you can do King size quilts. If you do want to upgrade consider selling your Lenni and getting a Lucey or Freedom or Millennium. She has a bigger throat so you can cover more real estate in one pass and maximize your $$ per hour.

4) Average time for completing a twin with IQ

It depends on density level and how quickly you get over to the machine to advance to the next row. You can easily do 3 twins in a day if you are not trying to do 4 things at once. :)

5) How many quilts can you reasonably do in a week with the IQ? It depends on the size but I can easily do 2 Queens a day for all over edge to edge. Custom work takes longer.

Originally posted by AHuffman

5) How many quilts can you reasonably do in a week with the IQ? It depends on the size but I can easily do 2 Queens a day for all over edge to edge. Custom work takes longer.

I have no idea how LAers do that much in a day. I even have an IQ and can't do that much. The physical strain on my body would make me feel like it's breaking in two. My hats off to anyone who can do it!

Shelly,

I certainly couldn't do custom queens in a day. However, with IQ, I can do a 2 panto quilts a day as all my physical body is doing is advancing the quilt. I'm not physically stitching. I also have a Millennium so the throat space allows me to cover more ground then if I had a smaller throat like a Lenni.

The biggest physical toll for me with IQ is going up and down the stairs because I will go to a different part of the house and do something else while it is stitching. Then, when IQ beeps at me, I go back downstairs and advance the quilt. The up and down of the stairs is harder on me than advancing the quilt. LOL!

I have started taking Fridays off so I can have a day just to stitch for ME. Otherwise, I never do anything for me.

Archived