Wide Quilt Backing Fabric

I only used it on two quilts so far and I like it. I used a neutral beige on one, and a pretty green print on the other. I had trouble getting much of a selection in my local quilt shops, but there are probably places I could have found on line, if I had looked. Hopefully they will start carrying more of it.

I use whole cloth as often as I can. It's easier for me to work with. Fabric.com has it in a variety of colors and it's quite reasonable. I usually order it in 3 yard increments and if there is some left over I use it for smaller quilts. I don't like the seams, especially on a larger quilt.

I love using wide backings........I highly recommend Christian Lane Quilters, they have a big supply and are very accomodating, especially sending out swatches if you want to take a look first. Check out their Bargain Backs, too, I've great luck getting usable sized backs that are on special.

I use the wide backs when ever possible. Hancocks of Paducah has a pretty large selection, some are currently on sale. I try to coordinate my backs with the front of the quilt when ever possible but end up using a beige or off white most often. I'm going to have to check out the other recommended sites, it's always nice to have a list of sites to get supplies from. DB

Oh Yes - Love to use wide backings - makes it very nice - quick and easy

too! I had Navy Blue (need to oder more!) a cream/beige with brown leaves

all over (almost out of that one too!!) another natural color one, one pink,

Out of white muslin & natural, want to order a dark green, and would love

to carry a tye-dyed brighter backing. One of my customer had brought this

in and I really liked the color. I also have a sample of one that looks like it

almost has a texture to it, like tapestry. The other one I carry is a steel

blue-grey.

I will be placing an order soon and will have to check-out those websites

listed as well. Personally, I want the whole bolt and to be able to cut off

what I need when I want it.:)

Gable - if it just for your use, a chunk at a time would work fine. I sell it to

my customers too. The other place is SewBatik.com I think... they have lots of colors

price is higher, but if you really want to match the top, which I do try to do........

Judi, yes, it's just for my own use and unfortunately I can't order every color all at once :( I did order 5 yards of a white/ivory leaf pattern from Fabric.com (they are having an after Christmas sale right now). I figure I can build up my collection of colors little by little and that should work :)

Gable

Guest Linda S

I encourage (beg?) my customers to use wide backings. One of the most economical places to get wide quilt backings is Christian Lane Quilters - http://www.christianlanequilters.com They are the folks who advertise as FATBACKS! They are sized to fit a queen-sized quilt with the extra inches on each size to go on a long arm machine. Each fat back costs about $30, and there are many different colors and patterns. Moda, RJR, Marcus Brothers, etc.

Linda

I hope this doesn't get lost at the bottom of the replies cause this company has GREAT fabric. They have a good selection of 104 and 108 inch batiks and their prices are very fair. Check them out at www.sewbatik.com. No affiliation, but my partner Terry has quilted several of their "show" pieces for them. We were VERY impressed with both the color and the quality of the fabrics.

I see they are being featured in the new Fons and Porter so take a look. They are 'big city' people who have moved to the heartland and run their business from a small town in North Dakota.

Guest Linda S

SewBatik does indeed have lovely fabric, but you will spend nearly double for a quilt backing from them compared to Christian Lane. You need 3.5 yards of 104-108" fabric to make a quilt backing. At Christian Lane, it will cost you about $30. At SewBatik, it will cost you $66.43.

Linda

And since Linda copied her reply to my post - I will too...

We're talking BATIK fabric here... If you are comparing apples and apples, so be it, but I can also buy wide backings a-la-walmart and I don't compare them to batiks.

I have no affiliation, but hate to see you turn people off who have not seen/felt their fabrics.

Guest Linda S

Christian Lane does NOT sell WalMart quality fabrics. You will not find Moda, RJR, Robert Kaufman, P & B Textiles, etc. at Walmart. While batiks are nice for some applications, they are not always the best. Christian Lane does have some batiks too. I'm just trying to save people money. If you want to spend a lot on your backing when you can buy comparable fabric (apples to apples) for about half, that's fine.

Linda

BTW, I'm not affiliated either.

We just looked through most of the choices at the Christian Lane website and like what we see there. I am familiar with the quality of many of the name brand fabrics there and It looks like the prices are really good. Also, the shipping seems very reasonable. Happy to have this site added to my favorites.

Christian Lane is awesome and I would only use wide backs if I could be totally picky -- but sometimes.... there are some folks that just gotta have what they gotta have. God bless 'em. I really hate pieced backs -- really I do. But I guess they're a necessity. Better pieced than sheets! God forbid!!

Love them wide backs. Otherwise, I'm putting my quilts on with seams running parallel to the rails -- too lumpy otherwise.

Pcky me...

I agree with Donna - very well said - "better pieced than sheets" !!!lol!!

I don't USUALLY have a problem with pieced backs, but now and then....

and yes, the seams must run with the rails, oh but then there are the backs

with seams running everywhich way!

p.s. I did do a pieced back once - the lady said it was "vintage Power

Rangers fabric" that she bought off of ebay.......oh NO! It was a very USED

and faded sheet - that was ripped apart and poorly pieced.... fought with

that baby all the way through - and that was after I cut off and fixed 2 of

the seams!

The ladies in my quilt club are really getting into the pieced backs. They say they can use up all their scraps that way. So far I haven't had any trouble. I don't guarantee results with the back, just the front. Maybe I should discourage them before I do have an issue. I recently did a quilt with a wide Moda backing and it was very slick. It was 100% cotton but boy did I struggle with the look of the thread on the back, it was almost like a silk. Hope to not get this one again! Has anyone had an issue with this?

Hmmm - that sounds tricky! I have had a problem with a very pieced back

when using Rainbow thread in the top. It wanted to break a bunch in all

of the seams - top and bottom. I will remember NOT to use that thread if I

have a backing like that again.

As for the fabric - I had a Berntex, I think, that was tye-dyed. Looked pretty

but sounded like I was punching through paper as I quilted. I think it was

the sizing on the fabric. It should have been pre-washed and it would have

been much less of a problem - tension issues!

Guest Linda S

Some folks really go into elaborate detail with piecing backs together and, sometimes, they want you to center the back on the front! :o It takes a bit of figuring, but it can be done. I'm just lazy and would prefer not to do it at all. Some of our local quilt shops sell wide backings and they are very nice, but they are often more expensive than the fat backs at CL Quilters. I was so glad to have found them -- they vend at MQX each year and have such a wonderful selection. Sew Batik also sells there and I have bought some of their fabric. Just have to have something special in mind to justify the higher price.

Linda

I am so glad you all took the time to point us to Christian Lane and sewbatiks. I was especially drawn to some of the dark prints on the sewbatiks site. These are different than I have found elsewhere, and although I realize the price is double what the same length of fabric would be from Christian Lane, you really can't compare just by length. When you find a pattern and color that is what you need/love, double the price is ok sometimes. If you are shopping by price, I don't think you can beat Hancocks of Paducah. I watch their clearance sections religiously.

I intend to make a whole-cloth quilt for our bed with each side being a different color and pattern...summer and winter.

So thanks to all for the shopping leads!

Archived