Question on Fairfield batting

A lady brought a quilt with a lot of black in it. She, also, brought black baking. I will post the quilt later as I need help deciding a design. How will the Fairfield cotton batting work with this quilt? Will it make pokies? The batting is natural color. I can't use black batting because she has several lighter colors in the quilt. It seems I get out of one goofy situation into another. I guess it is all a learning experience!! Thanks, Jan

To avoid the issue completely, explain to her that you cannot control whether the batting will beard and ask her to sign off on that stipulation. Having the possibility of bearding "official" like that might make her amenable to changing the backer to something friendlier. I'm not a fan of Fairfield batting. Several types have been OK to work with and some are awful. And I've had the same type be OK and the next exact one--terrible. If she will change out the backer, any bearding will be less likely to show and you can find a bobbin thread color that blends. If I get black backers, I have them choose a neutral to use in the bobbin. I always avoid black bobbin thread--too many opportunities for tension woes on top and sometime shadow-through on top so the needle holes look enormous. Just my opinion, of course!;)

Jen, I haven't used Fairfield cotton batting before but the W&N in a very dark quilt does fine for me, no pokies. I use a polyester thread (Isacord or Glide) usually.

I will say that I hate using Fairfield polyester and will talk a customer of out of giving it to me. It's just my own personal opinion. I figure if I'm quilting it and taking on the responsibilty, I'm going to use a batting that I prefer. I'm actually starting to get better at telling them it's MY preference to not use XYZ but I tell them it's because I'm not familiar with it and that is why. They can always find another quilter if batting is that important to them :)

A cotton thread might make a difference in pokies, I'm thinking. Maybe test out a polyester thread if you have problems with a cotton thread.

My customers sometimes bring me Fairfield batting (the 60/40 and the 80/20) and I don't mind using Fairfield batting and it works fine for me. The fuzzy fluffy stuff is not my favorite but I just deal with it. I've not had any problems or pokies with it. I don't supply batting to my customers. I just go with the philosophy that the customer chooses the batting, so ultimately, it's their responsibility, not mine. The customer is only hiring me to quilt their quilt for them and that's all. If they ask for my suggestions I will give them some ideas, but in general, I never turn a customer away because they brought a batting that I don't like...

well ...Except for that flat brillo pad plasticky stuff... fortunately I only had got that stuff once and that was 3 years ago) ....I won't take that cheap icky stuff because it leaves a plastic flaky residue all inside my bobbin assembly. :(

I cracked up when I saw this. I had a customer call me to see if this batting would be ok. I told her I had only used it once before and vowed never to try again. I told her that I'd consider it for her but that I wanted her to give it a little tug to see if it tore (my previous problem) or if it pulled out of shape. It was a king size batt. She enlisted the help of her dear husband. He grabbed one end and attemped to pull it out and put his hand through it. She said his face was that of a little boy that just destroyed something. She said, "Well that was exactly what Heidi was worried about happening." LOL it was pretty funny. We chose wool instead.

I haven't had any problems with Fairfield products with the exception of the 80/20. The 60/40 blend is made for longarmers, but isn't readily available at Joann's where most customers get their batt when they don't use mine. I've used the polys, cottons and bamboo blends without a problem. I refuse the 80/20. Too fragile for my tastes! Wonderful drape and it's soft to the touch, but I've seen it come straight from the package with holes big enough to fit your head through.

Archived