customers???

hi everybody...

i'm not even sure why i am posting this on the forum.

i don't know if i want encouragement or for someone to tell me to run the other way.

here's what's going on.

one of the gals that works in the office where i volunteer makes lots of quilts...her sister is a quilt a designer - a famous one. i was so happy to have her give me some of her quilts to use for practice. i am only charging her for materials. she puts no time constraints on me and her piecing is fabulous. it's a win/win.

now, another volunteer has a hand appliqued top that she made for her mom & dad. she heard us talking and now she said she wants to show it to me and see if i can quilt it for her. for pay. like a regular customer.

geez - part of me says i should try it.

after all, baby boy is leaving for college in august and i will have more free time.

i could save the money i make and put it towards more cool quilty stuff.

the problem is i KNOW it will lead to more business....and i'm just not sure i'm up to it.

what if i ruin someone's quilt? i'd never forgive myself...

how will i know what to do with these quilts?

i'm not very confident in my work, how will i keep from undervaluing my work?

is undervaluing a word?

lola-baby was for me to have for fun. what if it takes the joy out of it for me?

i read about others being taken advantage of by the chronic complainer who only wants free stuff.

i can be wimpy....i have always had trouble saying 'no' when pushed. especially when i am not feeling confident.

i'm just not sure i'm cut out for this....

what to do???

Only you can answer that question. I would write down an intake sheet, list what your minimum is, what you want for quilting a panto, an all over, custom ans so on. Put on that sheet that you are only responsible for the cost of the quilting materials only should something untoward happen to the quilt (you won't reimburse what it cost to put it together, in other words their labor). I also have on there that I may take pics and use them for my advertising. If you can stand by something that is written down that may make it easier, you can always say that it is 'policy'. It amkes it easier to stand up for yourself.

If not I would only quilt for myself and have it be only for my enjoyment. If you go down the road of quilting for others once it could turn into something nice. Remember there are usually only a few rotten apples out there.

I had the same fears when I first started taking customer quilts.

I learned that no one, including customers, is more critical of my work than I am :)

You do need to get practical and figure your costs and business strategies, as Julia suggested.

My experiences have been good. Bottom line, I enjoy helping my customers finish their projects.

Guest Linda S

It's definitely a double-edged sword. I doubt that you would ever ruin anyone's quilt. The income from quilting can be nice, but sometimes I think I'm never paid enough. That is partially my fault, as I tend to want to do a really nice job and do more than the customer's budget allows (and the price we agreed on). The stress of completing a quilt on time can be worrisome, but there is nothing quite like seeing the joy on a customer's face when you make their sow's ear into a silk purse, or when you take their lovely quilt and enhance it to become an even lovelier creation. If you decide to make a business of it, remember -- it's YOUR business. You do as much or as little as you like. Don't over-stress yourself.

Go with your gut feeling, quilting for others can bring great joy and satisfaction as others have said.

You control what or how much you do and feel free to say things like " I'm not confident I can do justice to your quilt right now" or "I would love to help you out but my quilting time is full booked for the next X weeks months or whatever"

It's not like a 9 to 5 job (unless you want it to be) and you can stop if you find you don't enjoy it.

I agree with Julia. Get your ducks in a row if you think it might turn into more of a business. Don't let your customers take advantage of you from the start. If you don't want any time constraints, let them know upfront you don't have the time it is more of a hobby and don't want the pressure of following a time line and don't take any rush jobs. If they need their quilt in a hurry it would be best to take it to someone else. Take some time to really think it through. If you decide to keep it a hobby or make it into a business, I know you will do a beautiful job. You are too critical of your self. Relax and give yourself some pampering.

Your doubts (and a lack of time) are the main reason that I choose NOT to quilt for others.

Everyone has provided good advice but only YOU can answer Myrna's question...do you want to quilt for others or not? You can say no now and change your mind later. Say yes now and it'll be harder to change your mind later. We'll support you, Meg, no matter what you decide.

If you want to take the leap, keep the number of quilts you accept at a level that doesn't scare you. If you want to take in only one quilt a month, stick to that decision until it no longer works for you. Another thing to think of--become exclusive. Quilt for the people you know at first. Keep your client list at only those six (?) people. They may provide you with just enough work and encouragement that you are gratified to start a business. If someone you don't know calls, let them know your client list is full (doesn't that sound oo-la-la?) and take their number, if they will oblige, for future work.

And again--it's your baby so you can change the rules to suit yourself! Quilting for others is rewarding in ways other than monetary. As you work on others' quilts, you get to work with such a variety of patterns and fabric combinations--many you might never attempt yourself. Your skills get better, your eye for designs is sharpened, and the satisfaction is great! And you can use your new skills on your own stuff!

Linda gives great advice. Manage your customers by a calender. Take one or two a month. If you like it, you can take more. Remember, this is your business so you own it; you control how you want to do things.

And the stuff you read about nasty horrible customers is the extremely rare occasion. I think I have had 1 in all of my years. That was years ago... We only read the bad stories in the newspaper...never (rarely) hear about the good stories...and there are thousands of good stories for every bad story.... It's human nature to complain about the bad things that happen. You don't often hear the wonderful stories. And 99.9999 % of the customers are wonderful.

If you decide you like doing this as a business, contact a CPA to get your ducks in a row so you can get a business license, write off expenses on taxes, depreciate equipment, recieve wholesale cost purchases on thread, batting, and other supplies, etc...

I've met the most wonderful, creative, fun, exciting people I would have never met if I did not take this leap. I started this business in mid 2007. My first full year (2008 and 2009) I was in the red, but 2010 and 2011 I made a very nice profit and 2012 is looking the same way. I don't advertise so all of my business is through word of mouth. I am keeping very busy. I am making lots of $$... But I have a FT job outside of the home that pays well, so this business income is just fun -- gravy money for me. All of my equipment (business investment) have paid for itself at least twice. Regardless of that, I just enjoy doing it because it is fun, and I love dealing with my customers. I don't need the business money to live on, really...right now... but Maybe when I retire this could be my income. That's the plan, anyway...to do this as my "retirement" job. :P

I have learned a great deal about running a small (very small tiny) business. It has been rewarding to me. If I can do it, you can, Meg. It takes a certain type of person to be successful at customer service skills. I have polished up my customer service skills with this business. You just treat people as if you were them. It works. Just be good, honest, thoughtful, respectful, seek to find solutions, communicate clearly. Common sense...That's it. You can do it Meggy.

I'm doing as Linda R suggested and I will begin controlling my level of quilts each month... maybe 4 max. I need to slow down a bit and juggle other priorities in my life (besides quilting)...

Anyway, give it a try if you want to.... just take 1 or 2 a month for a few months to see if you like it. If you do, do the necessary paperwork to become "legit" with a CPA and you'll be on your way.

PS: I meant to ask... How's our girl, Vicki doing with her quilty biz??? I love her penguin logo. I miss her laugh, her funny stories, and her very distinctive Brooklyn / Lawwwwwwngh Island accent... :P

Tell her I said Hi and send my love.

I'm coming to NY this October... flying into Syracuse. We must... we must get together! Can't wait to see your gorgeous face again... :cool:

hi shana!!!

YAY! i would LOVE to see you while you are here....and ingrid, too.

thanks for the advice everyone, i'm a thinkin' & a prayin' about it.

one of my good friends is bringing a couple of quilts for me to look at over the weekend.

i'll keep you all posted.

Archived