Studio Help - Revisited

QuiltsbyNini

Once upon a time, in the not so distant past, I thought I was going to be able to use my basement as my studio. It was perfect. Had a kitchen area, a bathroom, a seperate room for the office and a l-a-r-g-e area for my machine.

Unfortunately, life happens, and we decided to use that space as a rec room, with pool table and media room (my dream office space). It will work out much better for the family so I guess I'll go with my second choice. My upstairs bonus room.

This room is only 19.5 x 11.5 and definitly has the 'attic' feel. I only have one small window at one end. Right now I have my computer set up along one end wall next to the stairs. That seems to be the best spot for it. Along one of the short height walls I currently have my sewing table (actualy an old desk with my sewing machine on it.) I have used tape on the floor to see where my long arm will best fit, but am in dire need of storage ideas and other items for my room. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I looked at the quilt university web site, but they are not offering the studio design class until March. I will sign up for that as soon as they open the registrations.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Nini,

Go to google.com type in quilting studios and click on images. I think you need to click it twice. You can type in longarm quilting too and get more pictures. There are some great ideas there of people that have already been there done that!! Also, go to webshots.com and do the same thing. Lots and lots of pictures and ideas.

Nope, don't have my machine yet. Depending on which machine and table size, may need to come in through window. I have a half wall at the top of the stairs which actually makes it easier to get things in and out. When my son was living at home he had a queen sized bed in here.

That is something we are dealing with. Right now storage and a cutting table seem to be my main issues.

Hi Nini, I set up a machine for a customer that had a space above her garage just like you describe. The size was about the same with one window. I had her husband lift the parts for the table 12" up to me though the window while he was standing in the bed of his truck. On one side of the window she had small desk for her computer and on the other one for her sewing machine. We set her machine up in the middle of the space because of the angle of the ceiling. On the other end of her table she had her ironing space. You will have plenty of room under you machine for the plastic bend or cabinets for threads and such. if you need to you can order the batting rack that goes under your table to store your batting. You will still have room for the bends for threads or you can make a thread rack to hang on a wall. Another option is to have a cabinet made to fit under the length of your table for storage. Soem nice white or light paint and you will be set to go. If you are creative you can even faux paint another window. Stencil some nice designs on the wall. Add some good lights and you have a perfect studio space all your own.:)

Keeping everything tidy and in it's place is the key to a small space, or large space for that matter. With 19 ' you have some good options. You can have a wall unit built or buy one for the enpty wall and have the wicker or plastic continers of some sort for storage.

Myrna

I really love the skylights! Infortunately we have a very strict HOA that will not allow it... my studio is in the front of the house and they have waaaaay too much control over things like that!

While I can't afford the built ins right now, I do have a couple of dressers that were previously in my daughter's room that I had stained to match my computer desk. I moved them into position, and I really like the finished look it gave the space!

Now, when I see the taped out areas for my machine, it doesn't feel so cavelike and closed in.

A few more items and I will have the beginnings of my studio well under way!

Thanks!

Hi Myrna

Abby really was not admiring...she was salivating at my snack that I placed on my countertop while I took some photos! LOL I think she thinks that if she stares at it long enough, that a miracle will occure and it will fall to the floor right in front of her!

Originally posted by Myrna Ficken

Great set up Sherry and your little doggie admiring it.

I would also check out IKEA, I just bought a plastic rolling drawer thingie, its waist high, so I can work on it standing, like filling bobbins, making out invoices, and I just love it. I am going to buy 2 more and put a countertop accross them and make that my everything space.

See here...........

http://tinyurl.com/kxkl4

Good Luck!

Originally posted by SherryRogers

Hi Nini

Sounds like my setup. Here is a picture of how I set mine up. I I love my cozy space!

It sure beats the heck out of my first setup many years ago where I had to crawl under the table to get to the other side of the machine!

Sherry, it's nice to see your cozy work space where you make all those miracles happen and come true. Thanks for sharing the photo. I like your skylights, too. I enjoy seeing everyone's workspace and creative ideas.

Shana

I don't know how you all keep so organised!!! Every New Year I swear I'm going to get my butt into gear but it never happens. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed right now because a lot of "stuff" got shoved into my sewing room over the holidays and I dread going in there. I'm getting better at storing fabric but there still seems to be a problem conditioning myself to getting a place for everything and making myself put things away when I'm not using them.

Oh well, I'll try again this year and slowly but surely get the hang of it, I hope!!!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Archived