QuiltCam ready for APQS machines

We had a great response to the QuiltCam at the Retreat at Palouse Divide Lodge in Idaho. There is now a way to quilt pantos and use pattern boards from the front of the machine. We now have the QuiltCam ready for all the APQS machines. We will have it up on the website for purchase on Tuesday. The price includes Camera, video screen, stylus and laser holders, stylus and all the attachments needed. Thanks to Barb for putting together a great training opportunity.

Ron and Sharon

QuiltCam.com

I was lucky to have this on my machine as Ron tried out the monitor bracket and power source. It works so well and would be a great addition to any panto/pattern board quilter's arsenal!

The price is great and you know about R&S customer service--exemplary!

I bought this at Barb Mayfield's Quilt Retreat this last weekend and my friend Becky came over this morning and we downloaded the instructions and had it up and working in 45 minutes. Thanks Roger for the great instructions and I know that I am going to love it! Barb Nilles/Millie owner in Deer Park, Washington.

I felt like the kid who got picked to be the crossing guard when Ron and Sharon asked me to help demo this great product at the Retreat last weekend. I love it! I bought one and brought it home and had it installed in about 15 minutes, I had a little advantage seeing it installed for the demo. It is so simple, no drilling or rewireing.

It works so great for the boards I will be using them more now that I have this system, it is really cool to see the stylus following the grooves on the boards up close with the camera. I happen to love Pantos as well so I am looking forward to using it at the front of my Millie and not having to go back and forth for starts and stops etc.

During the demo I caught myself looking at the dot of the lazer light instead of the usual looking ahead. After getting it home and installed I practiced just a little and in no time I was right on target. Easy peesy!! I wish Ron and Sharon much success with their wonderful Camera System!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my QuiltCam all set up on my Freedom today. Ron had to extend the stylus/camera holder and he did it immediately and sent me the new one the very day I called him. Today I got it all hooked up and it works just like it is supposed to....I can see my panto just fine--I just have to learn to look at the screen!! It does add a little weight to the machine head so I'll probably take off the camera/stylus holder when not in use. The screen is just fine, though... ;-) I'm going to practice each day until I can follow the line looking up at the screen instead of down at the table... Also, I was getting a double laser light on the screen due to a reflection in the panto cover plastic. Once I put the panto on top of the plastic, the double light was gone. Also, Ron suggested that to reduce the size of laser light dot, I put a piece of tape over light and pierce it with a needle. This really helped as well...

I can see some other applications for this so I'll let you know if they work!! ;-)

I just received my Quiltcam yesterday. Hopefully my husband will have time to set it up for me tonight. From what has been said, I could probably do it myself, but that would hurt his feelings. He needs to be needed. I have a Freedom also, so hope I don't need an extension. Would like to get it up and running for a quilt tomorrow. What is different about the Freedom?

Originally posted by quiltedsunflower

Just wondering... I use Circle Lord boards quite a bit. Will this work with those also?

Any boards, any pantos, any drawn line design, including those you draw yourself. Anything that can be placed on the panto side--even those pages from quilting magazines that have quilting designs. The system is a holder for the laser or stylus--with a camera to show an area of the back table on the monitor.

If you have a stencil you love, trace it with a dark pen and adjust the size by scanning it larger or smaller. It can then be used with the laser to stitch it out.

Ron had to lengthen my adapter to 9" because the original one he sent was 6" and was modeled after a Bliss carriage system. Since I'm not blissed, I was seeing a lot of the carriage on the left side of the screen. The new one is just perfect, though! I don't see anything but panto. I've been practicing and I think I'm getting better at following the panto from the front. Well, let me say that I didn't follow it that well from the back either so I guess the front isn't much different!! LOL...

The camera just displays what it sees...I think she means that you could adjust the size of your stencil using a copier...then panto it on using the camera. But the camera will let you rotate what you see (reverse it, upside down, flipped, etc...). But the camera is stationary (as far as I can tell) so you can't even adjust how much of the panto you see (by moving it up or down)....

What I want to try is modern wavy line quilting. I did some Ric-Rac quilting 1" apart wavy lines. But I marked the quilt top first with blue water erasable marker first and that took a while. I'm thinking that now I would make my own panto with straight lines 1" apart. Then I'd project it on the display and just quilt the wavy lines right over the straight ones on my panto. I could have the lines closer, like 1/2"...or further away like 1.5"... But I wouldn't have to mark the quilt top!!!

I could also quilt one side of a slightly wavy ribbon going up the straight line looking at the screen, then quilt the other side of the ribbon going back the other direction looking down at the quilt top.

I have been practicing and I actually ran the panto with thread today--not too bad.

Archived