My cool tool for today

yankiequilter

I bought the whole cloth grid last year at Paducah and put it to use today for the first time. I need a design for the sashing/cornerstones on the quilt that I am currently doing and it has purple sashing with light cornerstones and the thread is purple. I want to quilt end to end and top to bottom and cross the cornerstones so they look nice. I drew the blocks with a wet erase pen and then practiced with a dry erase pen until I found something that works. Nothing new to some of you but it is to me! :cool:

post--13461908860103_thumb.jpg

This is an excellent idea Carmen! I've never heard of a whole cloth grid but will have to "google" it. I have a piece of clear acrylic I place over my quilt and use dry-erase markers to get quilt ideas, but I like the grids on this and it's much larger than my acrylic piece.

Thanks for the great idea! PS - I really like you quilting design too! :-)

hi carmen -

thanks for this great tip!

i have never seen this....i always make a template of the different areas in the block from cardboard and trace them onto my dry erase board while i am figuring things out.

do you know how many times i have to retrace cause it gets worn off from PPPing?

this will save me a bundle of time.

i googled it and one came up from quilters rule...is this the right one?

meg

ps - great design ideas, too!

Guest Linda S

Having a mylar sheet to draw and design on is a great idea, but I'm not seeing how this would work for a whole cloth. If you're marking a whole cloth, you have to actually drawn ON the quilt, so you can then take it to the machine and quilt the design. I do love the design ideas you've come up with. Very nice!

thanks to linda's comment about a piece of mylar, i headed over to home depot and got myself a piece of acrylic.

i have my first customer quilt and i am trying to come up with a quilting design ....i sat this atop the quilt and traced the seamlines with water erase marker.

it has made designing so much easier for me.

thanks carmen & linda! it seems for me, the simplest things are hardest to think up.

:)

now i just have to find the nerve to actually put a stitch in her beautiful flimsie!

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Yes, it is made by Quilters Rule.

http://www.quiltersrule.com/designing/NewGrids.html

As far as how it would be used for a while cloth, I don't know. I've never made a whole cloth quilt and it isn't on my radar. I would just guess that it would be placed under paper or fabric to draw or position the desgns. I bought it to practice and audition designs. I was able to practice enough to get the rhythm needed to be in the right place in the design when I got to a cornerstone. So glad that this has helped other!

• 2 months later...

I went to Wal Mart when I first started quilting and bought a 1/2 yard of the clear table cloth that is on a huge roll and is about 40 or so inches long. I lay it on the quilt and use dry erase markers to find a design that I like. I really don't remember where I heard that tip from but I like the idea of a grid I bet it would savetime lining things up. :rolleyes:

Quilter's Rule also has an "Oval - Circle" grid that is the same size as the whole cloth grid and a set of 3 smaller grids that are marked to help do blocks (90 degree, 45 & 90 degree, and 60 degree) up to 14"s. I use the 3 small ones all the time and now, after seeing the whole cloth one used for borders and corners, it will be used more also! Thanks for posting this Carmen.

As far as using this for a whole cloth quilt, I would do as someone above mention and put 1/4 of the design in the grid, then you can transfer the design onto your fabric. If you use a light box, you can even transfer it onto black fabric if you use a dark dry erase pen on the grid. Be sure and turn the dry erase marked side of the grid away from the fabric so that you don't get that on your fabric as it doesn't come out!

In using the smaller ones for blocks, you can transfer the design onto your quilt by using your laser light. I have a pattern port and put my laser light on the front of the machine and so I'm quilting from the front of the machine.

Archived