laser stylus

I am new to the quilting world. I have bought a used cheapie set up. It's an older table and a Singer mid arm. It has the metal stylus and I would like to have a laser. Where can I buy one. I've looked at some pointer lasers to try and rig but the only ones I can find has the buttons you have to hold down. Also my husband looked at some for guns to try and put on the machine but the battery life is not very good.

Can someone give me pros and cons about the lasers and some places to buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Ruby

Before I added Intellistitch to my Ulti I (and purchased their laser, too), I tried finding one also. I tried the ones you use with pets, to ones I found at hardware stores, and I ended up finding one that you can push the button and it stays on until you re-push it off at a local office supply store. They ordered one in for me. I was so tickled until I got home and realized it didn't fit in the stylus holder..... so I gave it to a college instructor who used it. Due to the danger of lasers they do not make them with a stay on feature very often and may not at all any longer unless they are part of a laser stylus type of set up. At least not that I could find, and I looked everywhere.

THis might be bulky, but it may work--what if you find the smallest LED light battery operated flashlight, cover the lighted end with black electrical tape and poke a hole to be a 'laser' light? Then duct tape it on somewhere or you could maybe find a clamp to work. It may take several layers of tape, or use duct tape, too, that is heavy.

You would have to switch it off and one, and it would have a battery life, but it may work for you. You could use re-chargable batteries to have on hand if they conked out.

Good luck-I know that Lee Valley tools has carried those LED flashlights at Christmas time, for about 5 - $7. Or any hardware or dollar store, too.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

My Ultimate I didn't have a laser. I bought a battery unit (Grace makes it) and it works very well?!

http://www.allbrands.com/products/10525-grace-gracie-laser-quilters-laser-light-stylus-poi

With IS I now have the plug for one but they are pricey, so eventually I'll get the APQS one.

p.s. the "holder" is screwed somewhere on the machine and it is such that you can loosen the wheel and point it almost anywhere and then tighten again?

Archived