Break in thread path

I have a customer who is having intermittent breaks in her top thread - but in the length that has already been stitched. I know there has been discussion of causes here, but I can't seem to find any - wrong search words, I guess!:( When I've experienced this problem, it's usually because the top thread has "double wrapped" around a thread guide, but she swears she has re-threaded and checked everything. Anyone know where to find some of the other reasons? TIA!!

Just a thought. is the needle too small for the timing? I have noticed that if I use a needle too small I will be stitching along and there won't be any top thread for an inch and then it "reappears," but the thread isn't breaking, just not being picked up by the bobbin.

Another thought, as I've had this happen, is her needle inserted correctly with the eye at the correct hour position for her machine?

Sorry, I don't remember the thread you are looking for. :(

Barb,

I'm not sure I quite understand about the thread break in the length that has "already been stitched". If you mean that the top thread appears to break, but then picks it self up and begins to sew again, the main cause is a burr on the hook. Something is hanging on to the top thread long enough for it to travel around on the hook assembly as it rotates, finally getting lucky and getting picked up by the hook point.

A secondary cause could be a bit of play in the hook shaft collar, pinching the top thread. But usually a burr is the culprit.

Archived