problems with bobbin thread

I haven't seen this issue before, wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Every time I start a new row (panto or freehand), I cannot seem to pull up the bobbin thread without taking it out and resetting it. The tension is correct, just not sure why this is happening.

On occasion this happens to me when I get the bobbin thread caught behind the latch of the bobbin case as I'm inserting the bobbin case in the machine. Could this be happening to you?

Also, make sure you blow out/clean the bobbin area of your machine well. You may have a piece of lint, fuzz, or thread hindering the bobbin thread from being picked up by the needle thread when you start your panto row.

I would be curious as to what is happening to you, so please report back when you get it figured out :)

Guest Linda S

Is the thread just not there when you go to pull it up (e.g., not long enough), or is it stuck and too hard to pull up? I've only had this happen if I've cut the wrong thread at the end. What I mean by that is, when I bring the threads up to cut them, I cut the loose thread - the one that's still attached to the bobbin case instead of the one that is the end attached to the quilt.

I use the prewound bobbins so it is not because is wound too tight of too loose. The problem seems to be a combination of all things mentioned. I use pre wound bobbins so I know it is not too tight or too loose. The thread sometimes does not come up at all. sometimes, it is too short to grab. Other times it may be because the thread cutter cut it too short? Or the thread is not sitting correctly in the bobbin. I just don't have one answer and it gets very confusing. The only thing I can say is, is that this happens on a fairly consistent basis. Thank you all for your feed back.

I am relieved to hear others have this problem. It also happens to me regularly, no matter how careful I am about the where the thread tail is when I insert the bobbin. I also have issues when I pull up the thread to cut it. If it is even slightly pulled toward the back of the machine, it will jam and come out of the bobbin slot. I then have to re-thread the bobbin case and re-install it....twice!

Guest Linda S

I think the problem may come from using the thread cutter on the Millennium. Those of us who don't have thread cutters probably don't have the problem. It's just a fact that you don't have a good tail left, the thread cutter cuts it too short. I have to admit that this is why I've never understood why there IS a thread cutter on the Millennium. Not a desirable item in my list of must-haves.

• 2 years later...

I've only begun having this issue.  I am SO FRUSTRATED.  I've changed bobbins, thread, the whole gambit.  I drop my needle down, pull up and the bobbin thread catches.  I can't even get one stitch.  I'm pulling my hair out.  Please please tell me what I am doing wrong.  I've quilted for years and have never hit this low.  I've used the same bobbins, same thread.  I've gone over the APQS videos thinking I've forgotten something.....cannot find the culprit.  The bobbin thread gets caught in the bobbin with the very first needle down.  I go to pull it up and it is 'stuck'.  I do not have a thread cutter.  I have a Liberty - which I have adored up to this point! 

Carrie

It is possible that the hook is not stopping at the right spot.  Next time it happens gently pull the thread and rotate the flywheel forward at the same time.  If it releases you will probably have to do a mag collar adjustment.  Not too hard to do get the instructions from Amy.  We had to do our Millie once after someone jammed a rag in the hook while the machine was running, retimed but the belt had jumped a tooth.

Nigel

Nigel, thank you for your advice.  Honest to G-d, I just got it working.  I swear I don't know what I did differently, but I'm sewing!!!!!!!  I ran to my computer to spread my joy!  ha ha ha.  I will keep your advice at hand.  I had jammed a needle a few months ago, but with Amy's help, had re-timed and was doing okay until today.  Go figure!  That's what amazes me about these machines.....the littlest thing can affect everything!!!!  I just am SO grateful to be back on track.  Speaking of......I'd better get back to it.  I love this forum.  Thanks so much!!!!

Carrie

A little piece of thread caught in there can mess things up as well.  When I change a bobbin I pull the tail down after I insert it to make sure it pulls free,  I have managed to get the thread under the latch and even under the brake spring.  If you take the needle plate off the tip of the hook should stop at the right edge of the notch for the retaining finger or slightly more to the right of that,  too much right and the thread won't release and too much left and you will get tangles.

Nigel

Archived