Taiming of the poofy quilt

Susanri

oh my this quilt is going to send me batty! the quilter appliquéd the gfg on top top the quilt, and the fabric is thick almost canvasy feel to it from the early 70's, most of the seams are serged. I dont have a hopping foot, I need a tip to quilt the darn gfg's. I was going to do a simple cc but the corners and egdges get stuck in my foot. I am thinking a simple swirl in the centers? or loop-d-loop.

post--13461909019723_thumb.jpg

and the gfg lay really "baggy" on the quilt

here is a lose up I have to undo that bit of stitching, I am thinking do the feathered filler borders then put it on my desk top to anchor everything down then try to quilt it right now its just drags under the foot, I will have to raise the foot a little a bit.

post--1346190902042_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Susan - do you have a flower stencil or something of the GFG blocks that you could chalk on top of them and then just do that pretty design? Your quilting on the rest of it is so lovely, and I can see those blocks are just chunky and look like they just landed on the the quilt. I agree you can't follow the piecing, it would really be too hard to do and make it come out nicely.

I don't , but the problem is the foot moves the fabric about so it creates pleates and poofs. so after the backing is quilted i am going to use my walking foot on my desk top and Sid to stableize then put it back for quilting, but still pondering ideas, I tired lifting the foot but that causes too many skipped stitches.

I should have done a looser background instead of something so dense.

The fabric is so loose and stretchy I thought it needed it. And didn't realize quilting on top of the gfg would be near impossible.

Ugh. It will get done!

Archived