Bobbin Nest and Top Thread Breaking

Help! I keep getting a bobbins nest on the back of a quilt I just loaded. I have magna glide classic in the bobbin and So Fine in the top. I just loaded this quilt and was doing the stitching to line up the top. I keep getting bobbin nests. What could be causing this? I just cleaned and oiled the machine, new needle, new pigtails. I don't think it is the timing, but I could be wrong. This is my first customer quilt and I don't want to get it all messed up!

Before I loaded this quilt I was working on one of my own and while I was stitching the top thread would break for about an inch and them it would go back to stitching just fine. The bottom thread never broke. Would these issues be related?

Any ideas what I could do? I am on a non-sr ultimate 1.

Check that your bobbin is inserted correctly--a tug on the thread should spin the bobbin clockwise.

Nests are caused by backlash--where the bobbin continues to spin after the stitching stops. Magna-glides need the magnet next to the back of the case and if you have the bobbin in backwards your bobbin won't stop. Make sure also that you've removed the check spring from the bobbin case when using Magna-glides. These are great pre-wounds and you shouldn't have this problem with them.

Callie,

Look for a scratch or burr on your hook assembly. When the top thread breaks, then picks up and starts sewing again, something is holding on to the top thread and allowing it to travel more than one time Around the bobbin. Sometimes it is breaking on you, but other times it is snagged well enough to make several passes, causing the nesting.

If you watch the timing video below, you will find instructions on where to look for the burrs. When you find the scratch, rotate the hook by turning the fly wheel by hand until the burr faces the floor. Then buff out the rough spot with fine emery cloth or cry fine sandpaper. give the hook another good cleaning after you are done to remove any particles.

http://www.apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=xWeqiuvwk5E

Then take the time to double check your timing just to verify everything is good.

I am interested to see what everyone has to say about this problem. I don't have the nests. I do have a lot of thread breakage, but only with certain threads. The only threads that seem to work on my machine without problems are Superior King Tut and Lava. Bottom Line and So Fine gives me the thread breaking problem. Bummer, beacause I would love to use a thinner thread.

Callie,

Before you sand any farther, first move to a practice piece and loosen both your top and bobbin thread tension quite a bit. Try to quilt and see if your thread stops breaking. If it does, then gradually start tightening your top tension until the stitches begin to look nice. If necessary, tweak the bobbin a bit.

If running the thread with loose tension still lets the thread break, then search for another burr. Also try a different thread to eliminate a bad spot on your cone.

Archived