Stabilizing when piecing applique

I am making my first ever applique quilt and am using a fusible and buttonhole/blanket stitch around the applique. One friend doesn't use any stabilizer and one uses coffee filters. When I tried it without stabilizer the block appears a little puckered, and when I tried a coffee filter I found that it was hard to tear out. My sister uses a water soluble stabilizer, but that requires spritzing or soaking to get all of it out of the blocks. I tried using spray starch on the back of the block after fusing but the starch seemed to melt the fusible. The thing that worked best was Golden Threads paper but I didn't like tearing the tiny bits of paper out of the stitching.

I am looking for a better way and am wondering how others stabilize for machine applique. Thanks!

Guest Linda S

I use Sharon Schamber's method, which involves using her appliqué foundation paper. You leave it in. When you wash it, it becomes just slightly poofy, so your appliqué has a very slight trapunto effect. Nothing like being able to leave it there!

As a matter of fact, I'm teaching a class on this on Saturday, if you want to come! :D

I use a light weight tear away that tears easily and very cleanly. Some of the stabilizers leave a somewhat torn edge while others leave a very clean edge. I think the last roll I bought was Babylock. When tearing, I put my fingernail along the stitching so while tearing, I don't pull on the stitches. If there are very tiny bits left due to blanket stitching - I don't worry - leave them there. They seem to go away with washing. When doing blanket stitch, I always tear the outside stabilizer off first - releases the stabilizer better.

I have never used stabilizer when doing a buttonhole/blanket stitch by machine. I use Steam a Seam 2. If you are getting puckering, maybe your machine tension is too tight. Even if you have a machine that automatically adjusts tension for you, it is sometimes necessary to manually adjust for some applications. Another cause of puckering could be wrestling with the fabric a bit too much. It takes some practice to lightly guide the fabric.

Archived