What is Your Best Selling or Most Preferred Batting?

Hi! I am starting a new longarm business. I am thinking of selling batting for convience for customers and additional income. I am planning to sell Dream Batting. I would like to purchase one roll of batting to start off with. What do you find to be the most popular batting? I am thinking either cotton, blend, or poly. Also, what weight select or deluxe? My business will be located in Kansas, so you know the climate.

Quilter's Dream is a preferred batting in my life so I think you can't go wrong. Stock what your customer like and add to your selections as you go along. Select weight should be a good all-around batting for most applications. Are you stocking packaged batts or rolls?

I don't sell batting that's easily bought at either LQS in town or JoAnn's. Not much wool available so I have whatever I can find wholesale--Tuscany, QD, and Hobb's. Several recent customers were convinced to give wool a try and showing their quilts at Guild has created a market for wool.

I try not to compete with the local stores so I carry a roll of W&W for convenience only--and I charge full retail.

Winline Textiles is my go-to source for batting. I love the bamboo batting. I am a retailer for Winline, and have a few customers that fell in love with bamboo. I have used the Winline 100% cotton, 80/20 blend and 100% bamboo...all without bearding issues. They now have a black batting that is 80/20 bamboo!

If you are setting up a business, then you might want to check it out. Just let Luann know that Kristina of Doniker Co directed you. http://www.winlinetextiles.com/

Guest Linda S

80/20 is also the most popular in my area. I generally have a roll of Hobbs on hand. I also use the blend by Legacy, as I prefer to handle the smaller 15 yard bolts instead of the huge rolls. However, I've found that I need to buy the one with scrim in it, as the one without is way too stretchy. I prefer wool in my own quilts, and I generally use Hobb's Tuscany. I've tried the QD Wool and, while I really like the loft, it doesn't have a stabilizer in it and it is also too stretchy for handling on the longarm in my opinion. There are lots of good battings out there. I had not heard of Winline batting until this post.

90+ percent of my customers ask for Hobbs 80/20. I've tried to get them to use different battings for a variety, and they always go back to the Hobbs. It was after I found that out that I got a wholesale batting account set up.

Linda, I hadn't heard of Winline batting either.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Winline Textiles is my go-to source for batting. I love the bamboo batting. I am a retailer for Winline, and have a few customers that fell in love with bamboo. I have used the Winline 100% cotton, 80/20 blend and 100% bamboo...all without bearding issues. They now have a black batting that is 80/20 bamboo!

If you are setting up a business, then you might want to check it out. Just let Luann know that Kristina of Doniker Co directed you. http://www.winlinetextiles.com/

Hi Kristina! I went to the website and looked around with interest!

Question--the only mention of a scrim is with the bamboo batting. Do the cottons have a scrim? I'm gun-shy of scrim-less batting especially in larger applications.

I only have a batting account with Quilters Dream. Once I ordered a roll of Puff because I really like it, but I used it mostly for my own quilts and charity quilts. I didn't like handling and storing the roll. None of my customers asked for it during the time I had the roll. I have no idea why.

Since then, I only order the packages. I keep about 4 cartons of assorted sizes and types in my studio/basement. Lots of my customers buy batting at JoAnn's with their 40% or 50% off coupons, or when it is half price.

When I have a customer that wants me to order batting for them, I do. Due to the shipping rates, I add a few more batts to my order that I might use if nobody buys them.

My personal preference is the Wool and my second favorite is 100% cotton. I started using Dream Green in my commissioned tee-shirt quilts. I often use the Green in donation quilts, too, as it is a lower price than the others. I still like and use Puff, and also the 100% poly and the 70/30 Blend. I use Dream Angel for my baby quilts now, or 100% cotton.

So far I have liked all the QD products I've used. If there is a choice of weights, I order the Select weight.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Hi Kristina! I went to the website and looked around with interest!

Question--the only mention of a scrim is with the bamboo batting. Do the cottons have a scrim? I'm gun-shy of scrim-less batting especially in larger applications.

yes, linda, the cotton batts have a light scrim to them. these battings are needle punched, something like 15000 times...and i have never had a problem with stretching the batt...nor bearding on the back of a quilt!

Archived