Removing marks

Janice

I have a lot of BOHN (white) pen marks on the quilt. There is not nearly enough eraser on the pen to remove all of the markings. I wiped the marks with a cloth then applied a mixture of alcohol & water. This removes them but I am wondering if this will, in any way, damage the fabric. The small part that I did looks fine. Thanks, Jan

Hi Janice,

The marks remove with abrasion, water, or in the wash. Try a damp cloth and a gentle scrubbing motion. I use a water-dispensing pen with a hard spongy tip (an Aquadoodle pen found in the toy section of WalMart or Target). Sometimes it needs more than one treatment. The Bohin white pen is my favorite marker for darks and busy fabrics.

As for the alcohol and water--maybe not the best solution, but I don't know if it will affect the fabric. Alcohol is a drying agent and I guess if you can use it on your skin it shouldn't hurt the fabric.

• 1 month later...

When I was at QwM last month I took a class with Jamie Wallen. He uses that white bohin for marking and suggested using a precision oil bottle (the little bottle with the metal tip) filled with Sew Clean. He just runs the Sew Clean right on the line and it comes off without having to scrub. I haven't tried it myself, but he seemed adamant that it will work. I did buy an extra precision oiler bottle (about $4) and a bottle of Sew Clean ($13) though. I have clearly marked the bottle so I don't mix it up with my machine oil!

When I was at QwM last month I took a class with Jamie Wallen. He uses that white bohin for marking and suggested using a precision oil bottle (the little bottle with the metal tip) filled with Sew Clean. He just runs the Sew Clean right on the line and it comes off without having to scrub. I haven't tried it myself, but he seemed adamant that it will work. I did buy an extra precision oiler bottle (about $4) and a bottle of Sew Clean ($13) though. I have clearly marked the bottle so I don't mix it up with my machine oil!

I have used Sew Clean for removing a spot or two on quilts. My issue would be that it's a cleaning solution that needs to be washed out. I would be afraid to leave it on the top, even if you only use a tiny line. Bohin marks come off with water and a bit of rubbing. No need to add a chemical or to make your customer wash their quilt. (Sew Clean has that strong orange-y smell also. I'm not a big fan--but maybe you could tell!) JMHO.

• 6 months later...

Archived