West Coast quilt show

ffq-lar

I spent yesterday at the Pacific West Quilt Show in Tacoma, a great show put on annually by the Association of Pacific West Quilters. It's a big show with a great reputation.

Their photography policy allows taking photos but not posting them on the internet without permission from them AND the owner, so no photos--sorry.

Luscious world-class quilts were shown at a comfortable, big, and convenient venue.. The huge majority of quilts were obviously for the wall and not the bed. Intricate piecing and applique, lots of micro-stitching and thread color changes, lots of metallic thread and over-laying of contrasting thread colors, beautiful quilting designs--really over the top. But this wasn't a quilt show, it was an art show. Nothing wrong with that since the quilting world has been trying to break out of the craft label and into the art world forever.

Sigh--the quilts were spectacular--Marilyn Badger both solo and with Claudia Clark Meyers, Sherry R-H, Ronda Beyer, Sharon Schamber, Janet Fogg, Jean Wells, Barbara Shapel, the list is long and full of recognizable names.

If you live in the West, this show is one to plan for--a definite must-visit. I was in line with two quilters from South Carolina--they came just for the show and some sight-seeing. That sounds like my kind of vacation!:cool:

Hi Linda,

I remember going to the Tacoma Show in 2007, and having dinner with all of you. I owned an APQS back then---the show was wonderful, as were all the classes. I loved the lite rail system, and walking around down town Tacoma is also fun! The Chihuly glass bridge is awesome! I hope to visit this show again sometime. It seems to be forgotten since the Portland show gets so much advertising.

I really think this show, the convention center and Tacoma is awesome!

Next time you're in Tacoma, make SURE you spend at least a 1/2 day at the Glass Museum Hot Shop. You can watch glass blowers from all over the world create their magic. It's become a MUST DO for us each year when we travel from BC to Southern California. Kids love it too!

Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Linda,

I remember going to the Tacoma Show in 2007, and having dinner with all of you. I owned an APQS back then---the show was wonderful, as were all the classes. I loved the lite rail system, and walking around down town Tacoma is also fun! The Chihuly glass bridge is awesome! I hope to visit this show again sometime. It seems to be forgotten since the Portland show gets so much advertising.

I really think this show, the convention center and Tacoma is awesome!

Angie, the show you remember is Innovations, I think. That's the only Tacoma show where we've had an APQS group dinner. I think I may have been there......

I miss Innovations and going to Tacoma every fall -- there were super teachers; only the merchants' mall was a little weak. And we loved downtown Tacoma too -- the glass displays in the Murano Hotel, the spectacular bridge mentioned above, the glass museum, the little train... and the little Thai restaurant just a block away... Ah, nostalgia! MQX just isn't the same, even though Portland is an interesting city too.

Barbara

Archived