My new George

Melaniebob

I got my new George machine right after the Houston quilt show. It is amazing machine. I got five! qults doone in time for Christmas. (the tops were a;lready done).

I was thinking about a Long Arm, but was lookiong ahead to future space in a downsized home. i was also concerned about standing for long hours.

The George was easy to use. I have spent hours just playing with the tension and practicing. It has been a lot of fun.

And I actually got quilts done!!

;) Melanie in Sugar Land

Hi Melanie!

I am very impressed that you have done 5 quilts already!

I love having George in my shop, it is so great to see people sit down & quilt with such proficiency right away.

We would love to see some pictures when you are ready!;)

I do love George!

I have had George in my studio since July - and have not counted the quilts finished, but it has been a lot. I had a wonderful Millie, but due to arthritis, standing and shoulder movements did not work well for me. George has been an answer to a prayer. Moving the fabric has been much easier for me, esp with the large throat space. DH made a large work table for me so I have a good space for pin-basting. I did a lot of quilting on my Bernina for years before Millie, so the process was an easy transition. Besides, I really like the feel of the fabric. I sold my Millie to one of my best friends and she loves it! (Plus, I get to visit anytime I want to...)

Joann

Independence, MO

Is the George stitch regulated? Is it easy to SID on a George? Do you need to hold a ruler in one and move the quilt with your other hand, or do you just do it the way you would if it was a Bernina or DOM? Are points difficult to do correctly?

Can you do pantographs? Are you only able to do free motion or stencil designs? I'm trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages to a George vs a Millie or Liberty. Just lots of questions..I hope someone can answer.

Thanks,

Sandy

Sandy

the George does not have a stitch regulator. I have heard that one may be in the works, However, I think with practice you may not need one. I have been surprised how consistent my stitches are. I spend a fair amount of time practicing before I start a quilt .

I have only done all over meandering and loop de loops and one star pattern. the points were okay. . I am getting ready to do a quilt with a flower motif. I expect it to be a litle bit harder. I am not sure what you mean by the ruler in one hand??

The things I considered before buying was the space, not having to stand, and being closer to the actual stiching.

George fit the bill for everthing I was looking for.

Melanie:)

You are right about the need for a stitch regulator, Melanie. I have heard one is in the development stage and should be able to retrofit to my machine, but I don't think I would be too anxious to do that. With practice my stitches have been very consistent, and I'm finding it easy to stitch slowly when I need that extra bit of accuracy - SID, etc - and still maintain even stitches. I keep practice pieces handy all the time and put in 20 min. or so before I start stitching on a quilt. It's great to be able to warm up a bit before you hit the big time, and it is easy to pick up a practice piece and try out a desigh before you commit it to the quilt. Much less frogging in my life!

With the foot that is on George you can't use the rulers you use on a longarm. You can mark stencil designs and easily quilt them. The rest is freehand fun.

Joann

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emily,

Yes the machine plugs into regular household current. I brought mine off the floor at the Houston Quilt Show, so the table was already put together. It was easy to put the machine into the table. There are a couple of things not in the instruction manual. One is the kind of bobbins to use. the other is how to use a bobbin case. I have a drop in bobbin machine and have never used a machine with a bobbin case. I had to visit a friend and ask for help with that one. I am not sure why that is not in the manual.

Other than that, I was quilting within a few days.

One thing to keep in mind, it is not a domestic machine. For instance I have had to adjust the tension control a lot. there are no numbers on the dial. I put a red dot of paint on the dial so I could remember where I started adujsting.I have also gotten spoiled with the needle threader on my domestic machine. But it is no problem now threading the George.

I think it's a great machine. I expect to be using it for many years.

feel free to ask any other questions.

:) Melanie

:):)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Melanie,

Sure am. I am waiting for my husband to figure out our taxes first. We hope we don't have to pay a bundle.

I am buying George simply for my own quilts. Right now I have four of them waiting to be quilted.

Do you do work for others?

Emily

Hi Emily,

No I don't work for others. I find it to hard to figure out my own quilting designs, no way could I do that for someone else.

I had at least a dozen quilts pieced. I am working my way through the pile of them.

I was ready to start thinking about sending my quilts out to be done. I am very thankful I don;t have to now.

Let me know when you get it.

Melanie:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All You George Owners,

I am planning to order my George in a few days but I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. Hopefully you can help.

I live in Florida and there is no George dealer here, from what I understand. I don't even know where the nearest one would be. Should George need repairs, what do I do? Also, what about routine maintenance?

I appreciate your help.

Emily

Hi Emily,

I have called the customer service number. the person that answered was very helpful in getting through the problem. I have read somewhere that every 3-4 years you need to send it back to get regular maintence on it. So when you get yours, it would probably be helpful to keep the box the machine comes in.

The regular maintence is pretty straightforword. I have not found it diffucult to do. the hardest part is sitting under the table to clean the bobbin area.

have fun.:)

Melanie

Archived