I was going along beautifuly on a quilt for my sister's new baby. Ran out of bobbin thread. Decided to clean the machine, did the blow, WD40, Oil that I always do then went back to quilt and WHAM!!!! those nests appear on the back of the quilt. I have rethreaded, and checked the bobbin, and checked again and again and again. Frustrated. I can tell that the problem is when the needle goes into the bobbin area, the thread doesn't release from the bobbin casing (if that makes sense).

It sounds like the bobbin is continuing to spin after you stop. Check the bobbin case to make sure the backlash spring is correctly positioned. If somehow the fingers of the spring are flattened, pry them out a bit with a screwdriver. Clean the case, blow it out and check under the finger for gook. A piece of lint or thread will sporadically catch the bobbin thread as it exits the case. Good luck on your search for a solution.

I never noticed much on my machine until I started using a heavier thread ,I blamed it all on the thread ,stressed through all the breaks and what you are describing ,after reading a post on here about the tension spring ,bingo ,my spring was not rebounding fully from the nine o clock postion to the 11 ,ordered new today

Kathy,

If nothing else changed between bobbin#1 and bobbin#2 except for changing it and oiling it, then concentrate on the variable. Take a look at the second bobbin. If it is a pre-wound, put it aside and try another one. Sometimes the cardboard sides allow the thread to slip between them and the thread itself (especially if the bobbin is a bit over full).

If you wound your own, change to a different bobbin. A metal or aluminum bobbin dropped on the floor can get "out of round" and will cause erratic thread release in the bobbin.

Check the bobbin case itself. Run a business card underneath the outer tension "finger" to clean out any lint that may be stuck underneath it. Lint build up will allow more thread to peel out of the bobbin, especially at direction changes. That will cause nesting.

Finally, remove the thread from the needle, and also take outthe bobbin case. Turn the fly wheel by hand about 1/4 turn, lowering the needle part way into the bobbin area. Then look into the hook assembly down below. On the right side of the assembly you'll see a small hole where your bobbin case lever snaps in place. It sits at about 3:00. Insert the tip of your compressed air into that spot and give a couple of good bursts of air.

This positions the outer rotating hook in a different position than from the standard "needle up" state when you clean it, and allows you to remove any hidden lint that may be trapped in the bobbin basket race way. That microscopic lint can mess with bobbin tension.

Let us know how it's going!

Archived