Studio design question

Lora Ferguson

Hi all,

I'm a posting newbie here, but have been reading and following for about a year. I am anxiously awaiting my Freedom, which is to arrive on Friday. My DH has been making an awesome quilting room for me in the basement. And now it is to the point we can have the Freedom delivered. The next step will be putting a counter top on the two-drawer units (8 of them), to create an L-shaped counter (with a diagonal corner to put the regular sewing machine in) in the sewing end of the room. Because of the size and shape, getting a custom made counter top down the stairs and into the room is just not going to work. So my DH is going to make the counter top for me. I had planned on formica. But today he asked the question, what would you think about tile? Would love to hear from you folks about whether you think this would be a viable option. Thanks so much!

My suggestion would be to stay with the formica or similar product. If I understand what you are asking he is talking about tile with grout. It's an uneven surface to start with and you have to deal with the grout lines. Formica would be pretty, simple and easy to care for. There are other alternatives that may be a possiblity too. Just an opinion.

Thanks so much ladies. Your input is helpful. I won't be using a rotary cutter on the countertop - there will be a separate cutting table. So the countertop will just be a place for putting sewing machines, PC, and perhaps someday an Accuquilt Go Baby. I am leaning towards the formica...I'm really having a hard time imagining working on a tile countertop! I'm not sure if he will make the countertop in sections, applying the formica on it before it comes down. Or if he will want to put the formica on after installing the countertop.

My woodworker hubby made mine, and my aunt's out of 3/4" hardboard. He trimmed it out with 1 1/2" oak, and we sealed the whole thing with waterbased polyurethane! It darkens the hardwood to almost a cardboard color. Nothing will penetrate it, it was easy to cut to size, etc.

I had the similiar situation, wanting to move my cabinets around. He also put them on "locked" wheels, so I can lock the front 2 wheels to stabilize the cabinets, but move them when or if I needed to!

Archived