Couple of questions

Hi,

I am considering buying a LA in the next couple of months. I have been devouring everything I can find to read and I will be attending a quilt show in Va next month to test drive a few models. Can anyone give me a guesstimate on how much money I should reserve to buy the necessary items to go along with the LA. I am also a little nervous because I'm not sure that I will ever be creative enough to come up with designs like I have seen on here. I have been quilting for five years and use my sewing machine to quilt but nothing elaborate. I always get stumped when it comes time to quilt my top. Eventually I would like to quilt for extra money but I plan on taking lots of time to practice.

Mary

Hi Mary, You can start out with the basics. With a purchase of an APQS machine you get everything you need to start quilting except batting and fabric. We also have a great special this month, The Hartley Fence Package. So you could start out with a lot of things.

It will be easier that moving your quilt and you will find the transition fairly easy to moving the machine.

I know it does make you a bit nervous, but just do it. Just relax and let your creativity come out. Practicing on paper is a great way to get started now.

We do have some great deals on used machines still available if you would like are interested. They do have a one year warranty and are stitch regulated.

If I can answer any questions for you give me a call.

I would plan on between $300-500 to spend on a TOWA bobbin gauge, thread, needles, canned air or air compressor, practice muslin and batting, a few beginner pantographs, an extended base and a few basic rulers, some educational books, DVD's and classes if you can get to some. Don't go overboard in the beginning buying everything in sight. If you buy the basics and start slowly, you will learn what appeals to you and where your talents lie and grow from there.

Hi Mary

I am really fond of my Millennium from APQS, I am working on quilts for my shop, for wholesale dealers and for customers, and are making small things like pillow shams with practise quilting, it keeps me pretty occupied next to running my own (quilt)shop, making my website and giving classes, but the purchase of my Millennium was worth it!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Hey Mary! You've gotten some great advice on this thread already, but here's my input. I first saw the APQS at the MidAtlantic show last year and took delivery of my Millenium the end of April. Being a tools and gadget fanatic I got overwhelmed by what is out there because there were so many neat things to want! Myrna is oh so right on the money...all you "need" is fabric and batting to get started. I had a week of classes with her in September and saw the endless possibilities, even without tools, or very few. My job had been unstable and I didn't want to spend much beyond what was absolutely necessary...now I have a better idea of what I need...and just plain want! My best tool was the classes, however... thanks Myrna!

BTW Mary - I'm in Raleigh...where are you in NC?

Anita

Mary

Since you are new and live in NC...close to TN. Myrna Ficken is coming to my studio to teach in March. If you email her (www.aquilterschoice.com), she can give you a list of classes, dates, etc. I live in Sevierville (next to Pigeon Forge.) She'll be here 5 days and is offering a great variety of info.

Besides being a fantastic quilter and wonderful teacher, she's a pretty nice person. Should be fun and there are lots of cabins for rent around me. Bring a friend and share the space.

Kate Meyers

I am glad you all told me not to buy a bunch of extras at first because I'm a gadget freak and I would have tried to get it all at once. How long does it take once you order your machine for it to arrive? The classes in Tn sound like a good idea I'll check it out. Thanks.

I live near Roanoke Rapids.

Hi Minnie

When you first get your machine - you don't need anything else that you can buy - just some time to devote to learning and having fun. Later I would suggest a Hartley expander base which comes with two straight rulers of different lengths. If you are going to be doing panto work, I would buy the pantos as your customers request them or perhaps buy the following which are always useful. Daisy Chain and Drifting Leaves by Darlene Epp, Popcorn, Angel Wings, Inkblot by Willow Leaf Studios. There are heaps of other beautiful designs out there but I use these most. When you are starved for ideas on freehand designs Darlene Epp's pocket guides are awesome (you can order them from APQS or direct from Darlene.

I suggest you practice with the pantos that came with your machine for a few days and then get around the front of the machine and just doodle - you will be amazed at what you can do and within a few days I bet you will be amazed at how quickly your work improves.

I suggested purchasing the expander base as I find it necessary when doing diagonal lines and I use it and the small ruler when I am stitching in the ditch around applique - even curved shapes.

Have lots of fun and ask lots of questions here - there's always someone online to help.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

I would echo what ckirk & sewingupastorm have said. We got our Millie in September and so far we have done the beginners class, bought the extended base, extra bobbin cases (which we marked with different colors of fingernail polish), some thread, Linda Taylor's book " The Ultimate Guide to longarm Quilting", and Karen McTavish's book on the art of "McTavishing". Other than these things I wish I had bought way more Muslin and varieties of thread so we could have done more practice "right off the bat" Follow your own intuition "GO FOR IT"! You can do it, Be sure to read all of the postings about thread tension and adjustments.

When I met Myrna, she warned us that as much as we are addicted to fabric we can and will become addicted to thread! It happened to me. I received my machine and purchased $400 just in thread. Although the purchase has proven to be wise (i now have several colors for my customers to choose from) I did go a little overboard! Other gadgets are coming slowly but surely. Just remember to take things one day at a time. Every day is a new adventure with your machine, ENJOY!

BTW, i must have been good this year, Santa brought me the Hartley Fence and all its attachments! I am going bonkers with the possibilities. Now if i could just get past all the snow in my drive to get to my shop I might be able to accomplish those possibilities!

Happy Quilting!

Mary - Same goes here...if you're this way...my Millie is available for you to try.

Manda...ooooh, I'm envious of the Hartley Fence! When I took Myrna's classes, it went to the top of my list. I bought her book knowing the fence would be soon to follow...then the washer/dryer went kaput (is that a word?). It won't be much longer now! :P

Anita

Archived