And . . the government gets MORE!

I guess our local authorities read my post about putting it all on the table and letting them take what they want!:mad:

The city and county (either but not both) now have a "net profits tax" so I had to pay $47 and get ANOTHER license and then I will present them with my business tax return or Schedule C or whatever the heck they want and they get 1.33% of my net.

That's great . . I'm officially at the point of having half of my net spent before I ever touch it.

I think my prices just went up! :)

My neighbor who owns his business brought this to light recently. We had checked into a business license for our area, to find out that you had to jump through hoops with the Planning and Zoning division (and about $1000) just to be "considered". If you received approval (4 months later), then you could apply for a business license (another $100). Interestingly you do not have to have a Business License to get a State Tax ID (sales). AND in my state, since I don't "sell" batting or backing, I don't have to charge or report sales tax. So the question becomes "you've spent $15000 for a machine, etc." Is it a hobby until you clear the $15000? (He says the county is not promoting people starting small businesses, so until you make back what you spend, don't put the horse before the cart. I don't see the problem, since there is not traffic in and out of my house, and there are always FedEx and UPS trucks coming and going. I guess everyone has to wrestle with this themselves...

Cynthia

Cynthia: It's different everywhere though. Here, they're prosecuting and they've made a big deal about it. The rule here is if you have at least $600 in one year in gross sales, you are required to have a license. Then, if you owe nothing, you just file the return and pay nothing.

I thought about the requirements you faced and was very thankful I was able to say that no one ever comes to my house so planning & zoning just signed off on it and I was on my way.

I have a question for GiftedHands - you are also in the state of Georgia. I am assuming that you do not have a business license? I have applied for my sales/use tax certificate - I am planning to provide batting. But, I would love to avoid the "hassle" of the business license if I can avoid it!

Again, you have to go by each county's requirements for a business license. Are you in a storefront, do you have people coming into your business, creating noise and traffic in your neighborhood.

In our county, there are different requirements, as there were in Gwinnett. And add the complication of In city limits, outside of city limits.

Also, are you "incorporated" or a sole proprietorship? All these should be covered by your SBA guys and tax accountant.

Good Luck!

Cynthia

Guest Linda S

Wow! You folks are living in some unfair areas! Of at least it seems that way to me. I guess I should knock on wood. I only costs me $52 every two years for a business license and then I have to pay a country transit tax (for the bus system) and my regular income tax. That's it. We have no state sales tax, so no hassles there. I really don't like the idea of them taking a share of your net Judy. I think you should find their boat and dump all their tea overboard!

Linda

Wow! Kentucky has just outdone California on finding creative ways to add another tax. I hope our law makers don't hear about this for awhile.

We also have the $600 gross profit per year cutoff for needing a license. But regardless of the taxes, fees, etc. I still believe everyone needs to follow the letter of the law. Cheating on taxes (or anything for that matter) never pays off. But I am considering moving to Oregon. Move over Linda!

Archived