? about charging

There have been previous post where others listed a basic charge for set up. These amounts varied, which seem to depend on the area you lived in. My question is the average price was 50.00 was there a max size of quilt that could be quilted for that price? I am assuming the quilting would be a simple stipple. I am trying to come up with a pricing list that is fairly simple. I am not trying to make a living but would like something fair for my efforts. I just don't know how to come up with these figures I guess. Any ideas:o

Bonnie here's how I handle it, others may do it differently. I charge by the square inch. If whatever is being quilted works out to be less than my minimum charge I charge them my minumum charge otherwise they get charged what it worked up to be. Hope that makes since and helps.

I charge the same was as Connie. I have a $35 minimum. If the square inch fee is less than the $35, they are charged $35. For example, I have a miniature quilt to do which is 12 inches square. That's 144 square inches. If I do light custom and charge 2 cents per square inch, that's $2.88..so I would charge $35, which is my minimum.

Some quilters will establish a flat rate for meandering...a set fee for baby quilts, lap quilts, twin/double, queen/king. I have seen quilters do this type thing around holidays as a "sale" to try to attract new customers, or during slow times to bring in some $$.

I don't quilt as a business, but do quilt for others now and then. I started out with a flat rate for baby, lap, twin, queen, etc., but soon learned I was cheating myself because of the various sizes in those categories. I had one lady call and ask about a "wallhanging" charge. Well, that "wallhanging" turned out to be over 60" square ! That's when I started charging by the square inch and graduated the price up according to how much quilting is involved. I have a $35.00 minimum. I've had people tell me I don't charge enough and then others who say "oh my !"............Go figure. haha

We have a $40.00 minimum. Same as the others - charge by the square inch if less than $40.00, then it is $40.00.

What we do allow- lets say they have two baby quilts or like 4 place mats and they fit all on the same squared backing piece and they are all going to be quilted the same- the $40.00 min is applied the entire "load" on the machine.

You've got it. The "going rate" is different in different areas. Around here, pantos are 1 to 1.5 cents a sq. inch. More complex pantos are 2 cents, maybe more if they are really complex, like the Meadow Lion ones. Light custom is 2.5 and does not include SID. Prices go up from there, but top out at 4.5 per inch unless it is something really special and extreme (trapunto, etc.) This area is highly saturated with longarm quilters, both hand guided and computerized, so one has to be competitive if you want to work at all. Check out your competition, if you can tactfully do that. Or, develop a style that is in demand by a selective customer base who are willing to pay.

Archived