Riddle me this

Susanri

That darn contrary machine! :blink:

When I get those tension troubles, it's almost always something with the bobbin. Check if the bobbin wrap is squishy or if there is a piece of lint under the finger of your bobbin case. That's usually where I find the culprit. And time outs are good to--give 'em time to think about what they've done!

Last week I noticed my quilting was fine for a while, then thread break, fix, break, etc. My machine was clean, new needle and all set to go. Thread was Rainbows on top and So Fine in the bobbin.

I gave myself a time out too! Some days you just have to walk away...

Later on, I realized how dry it was in my room. I had put the electric heat on in my studio just that week and did not even think about the humidifier. So, ladies with heat on - HUMIDIFIERS on too!

Hope this helps save someone from having an annoying quilting day!

It wasn't until someone mentioned here (maybe Linda S in Oregon?) that she uses her TOWA with every bobbin that I started to also. I find that each of my aluminum bobbins spins off at a very slightly different tension. I usually wind however many bobbins I think I need at the beginning of each quilt, so I'm using different bobbins with each change and I think that too creates an ever so slight difference in tension, by not using the same bobbin. Sometimes I find that I only have to tighten the screw on the bobbin case a hair or two to get me back to the perfect readout on the TOWA. Since using the TOWA with each bobbin change, I haven't had to unstitch more than just a couple of small areas. And having a bobbin camera helps, too.

Towa is a gauge that is available from Superior Threads. You place the bobbin & bobbin case in the gauge and pull on the thread. While pulling on the thread a needle on the left side will move to give you a measurement of the pressure on the thread. I use mine with every bobbin....and have not had to frog anything since my husband bought it for me last year.

It is really great if you change types of threads frequently.... should you get one, make sure to log what give you that perfect tension with each type of thread.

Archived