Spam!!! Already??

Linda G. Craig

Sorry that some spam snuck through our defenses, everyone! The new system actually has some pretty strong validation procedures in place for people who register as new members. Unfortunately the spammers are also pretty savvy about sneaking around the defenses. I try to check the new member "applications" a few times a day, but they are most prolific in the evening because many come from outside the country. When I check the registration logs, I am surprised each day by the number of attempted applications that end up getting automatically banned by the system thanks to the mechanisms in place.

Please hang in there and simply report the spam. As soon as I see the report I will clean it up. Don't let a few knuckleheads with nothing better to do with their lives than to send spam ruin your experiences here. This place is too valuable a resource for quilters everywhere than to allow a few unsavory people to spoil it. Just ignore it and look for the good stuff here! :)

Just for information purposes, these spammers actually do make money with their intrusive and irritating actions.

They're contracted by a real company to add links to profiles or posts in online sites. It's cheap advertising and they might get 10 cents per link for their efforts. But the same person can register many times with different user names and add links from many different companies. That's why we used to see links to the same products all the time--Nike, jerseys, speed-dating, etc. Those dimes add up if you're in a third-world country. That's why an old user profile always had the same wording about being happy to be part of the family and "useful" somehow. That's from a provided script, as were those looooong posts that didn't quite make sense. They were scripted and didn't translate well from the posters language.

So glad new members need to be validated. While they can't post they may still get paid for trying--I don't know for sure. If they don't get paid they'll eventually stop trying or figure a way around the blockage.

Yes, I have reproted one spam also BUT I will not let them win!!! If we ignore them and they get no hits off their posts maybe they will go away. Possibly not but I am not going to give in and not come here anymore! I'm here to stay......Spammers or not!!!!! :angry: :angry:

Archived