Sunshine Pineapple Quilt Done

Boni

The pattern was originally for a wallhanging but my Lady wanted a full size quilt, and this is what she got! It isn't technically difficult...SID the pineapples and meander the background, pineapples in the borders. It just took hours and hours because of the precise SID in the pineapples! I'm not perfect, but you can't tell on a galloping horse! She loved it and that's all that matters to me. Here are the pictures for your inspiration.post-2564-0-08118200-1350676722_thumb.jpg

Link to my album for more pictures...

https://picasaweb.google.com/bonniesews/PineappleQuiltsAndBlocks?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Lady is from Hawaii! Need I say more? She found the pattern and didn't have a place to hang it on the wall. She takes care of her mom and father-in-law and when she came to pick up the quilt, she told me that this was the only joy in her life right now. We agreed that quilting is good therapy!

You talk about needing patience to do all that SID...it teaches you patience by doing it. I knew I had to make it good so I slowed way down to do it right. With practice, I was able to get a little faster as I worked through it all. It actually felt good to have the extended base under the quilt and a ruler in my hand for a change. I just had to keep remembering not to press down so hard that it hindered the movement of the machine. I learned to use more pressure on the side of the ruler instead of a downward pressure. I was so tempted to just grab the handles and throw away that ruler...but it did help to keep the line straight because of all the diagonal work. After taking it off the rollers and examining it closely, I found only one place that needed additional work. I missed one strip in one pineapple--finished it on my DSM. Thanks for the comments...glad you like it. :)

• 1 month later...

Bonnie,

You did a great job on the quilt! I've also been taking care of parents full-time and quilting is the one thing that really gives me a mental break. I'm sure your customer loved your quilting!

I hope my questions isn't too stupid, but I'm still very new at this and trying to figure things out. How did you do the boarders? Did you trace a template for the outline and then mark for the lines?

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I feel like I need to apologize for being absent for so long. However, life happens and now I'm back. Thanks for your patience. The challenge of this quilt was the SID and the background meandering--I don't do hand guided quilting very often. The border was a breeze with my Statler, a custom design that I drew and applied. Thank you for all your comments...you're the best! I'm still trying to get used to this new forum/format.

Archived