Hobbs Poly-Down disappointing for me

Hi, all,

I had bought a batt of Hobbs Poly-down when either Hancocks of Paducah or Connecting thread had a sale. It is of very poor quality. There are large areas of uneven thickness, permanent glued down bits, and huge "bubbles" as if someone had stretched out 12" by 12" areas.

Has anyone else had this experience with Hobbs Poly-Down?

I have not used it personally, but friends have and found similar issues. Might be better to save this one for charity quilts. I used some "seconds" from Quilter's Dream for that purpose, and once quilted the flaws were not detectable. The seconds had far fewer issues than your Hobbs batting, though. I would not use a batting like you describe in a customer quilt.

I keep this on the roll in my studio, for "poofier" quilts. Especially for children's quilts and for demonstration pieces at shows. Have had very few issues, but they do happen occasionally. I'm probably on my fifth or sixth roll. Do contact Hobbs with info on where you got it, if you still have that info. I'm sure they'll want to know.

I did not have this problem with it on the roll...but I have recently had problems with it pre-packaged. I saved it for charity quilts as it was really bad in areas, just like your experience. I didn't think to contact Hobbs, but if I ever run into this problem again I will contact them. Hobbs had always been a good quality bat in the past.

Archived