IntelliStitch question - need your input please

Chris: I have the I/S Turbo stitch regulator on my Ult2. I had it installed about 20 months ago. It is an excellent alternative to the APQS regulator. In fact APQS will not upgrade the Ult2 with their regulator. Where does your friend live? There are not many dealers/installers around anymore. If you live in the west, Helen Bayzinski and her husband Tony still do installations. You can contact her website Power Quilting (at least I think thats the name of the site)

The system is very reliable. In fact it is the one used by Nolting on all their top line machines. I am very happy with mine, and am glad that I decided to do the upgrade. Jim

I added the IS to my Ultimate I last Spring (not in my avatar). LOVE it! Wasn't sure I would since I'd learn without RS and quilted that way on several different machines through the years. It's a big investment so we had to decide what my machine was now worth (and how long did I expect it to last-practically forever?!), what a new one with RS would cost, how much I use it, etc I was already very fond of my machine and had eveything working the way I like so my husband reminded me that that does take some time. We added the raised foot (so much easier to use with rulers) and the RS works GREAT with rulers, boards, CL, Quiltazoid (whatever she may have)! Any questions, have her email me! Works great (it's a new motor, quiet, no vibrating plus I figure it adds years to my machine) and not sorry we did it at all!

I purchased my used Ult11 with the I/S regulator on it. It took me a bit to figure things out with it, but I am very glad that I have it on my machine. I am not aware of any other company that offers this addition for a non-regulated machine. I understand the cost is around $3,000 to add it and I'm sure that there would be installation labor charges added. I would contact Intelllistitch (they have a web site) and ask them about it and if there was someone close that could install it for you.

Guest Linda S

Intellistitch is made by the same folks who make the Intelliquilter. Super knowledgeable folks (engineers) and the customer service couldn't be better. I have a friend with an Ult 1 she's thinking of selling, and I'm considering buying it and adding IS.

I have the Ultimate I with the Intellistitch added. Love it. APQS does not add on stitch regulation to these older machine, so the choice is the I/S - and it works great. I had trouble with the motor smelling really hot the first couple quilts I did, so I contacted them and they told me why and what to do. So far, so good. We don't have a rep in our area (Iowa) so Barna was one of the two who came and installed. I was willing to do it on their time frame so I didn't have to pay any extra for incidentals for them, also.

Chris, I'm a little late to this discussion I couldn't get signed in so I just created a new account. We met at Camp Mowana.

I have a Ultimate 1 with intellistitch it works okay. Unfortunately I have been having problems with it and can get NO customer

service. So far I can't get any replacement parts. I ordered from their recommended person (quilttech) and did not

get the proper parts. They also add a different belt but won't tell me where I can get it and there was no offer to send me

one, which I would happily paid for.

As it works well, for me it is a BIG problem when I can't get parts.

I don't know if the owner is still in Dublin Ohio but he should be able to install also.

At this point in time I think your friend would be better off buying a machine that all ready has SR.

Michele

Hi Michele,

I'm sorry to hear you got the wrong parts. Return them to quilttech. We add a Groschopp PM 8014 motor so tell Ray at quilttech that and he should send the right ones. I got motor brushes from him.

The motor belt is much easier to find - remove the old one and take it with you to an auto parts store - they should have the same kind (that's where I got mine) if it has printed numbers on it, that will help. If the belt is simply stretched a little, you may be able to raise the motor. The belt should not be tight however - you should be able to squeeze the two side of the belt together by about half an inch. If the belt is too tight, it will cause the motor to work too hard and seriously over heat and it may also cause your machine to make bad noises.

Do you have any other problems?

Thanks Helen. The link on Ray's sight for the apqs brushes says for the PM8014 the problem is that the when it puts it in the shopping

cart it says something else. But if you hit that link it says they are for the 8014.

I will look for the belt at the auto store.

We actually don't know what is wrong. I was going to try the cheap fix of the brushes before going to another motor. I think

my current brushes are okay but I've got to try something. (my husband is the one who thinks it is the motor. There is a growling

and bouncing problem and it is so much louder than it used to be.) Everything is level.

It is just very frustrating and appreciate you helping me!!!

Michele

Michele: When you want something from Quilt Tech, just call Ray. I talk to him often and have found him to be very helpful.

Regarding you machine. You haven't said much about what the problem is. If it's simply the noise level, perhaps the machine just needs the grease repacked. Let us know. There's a lot of knowledge/help on this forum. Good luck. Jim

I will try to be more specific. It is loud growling and vibrating. Sometimes it cuts out completely for a second and then starts up again.

Everything is level. Grease has been checked and in my opinion okay.

My husbands diagnosis is the motor.

I/S did tell me to check and make sure the pulleys are tight but without completely removing all of the I/S from the back of the machine

I'm not sure how to check ALL of the pulleys. (the original ones on the machine). I'm scared to death to remove all the electronics to

check the original pulleys. Maybe I'll take another look later today. Any advice on that would be helpful.

The wrong motor brushes have been sent back and the new ones should be here in 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully that will fix it.

thanks

Michele

Gosh Michele, I am so sorry you have had so many problems. It looks like there is a lot of good information here and many people who want you to be successful with your IS.

The machine has already been purchased so they need to go forward with the investigation of the add-on.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And By the way, I sure wish Deloa would come back and teach some more classes at Mowana. I sure miss those wonderful days in October we spent in the lodge.

The only belt you need to check is the one at the back of the motor. If it's too tight it can cause a horrible noise. Loosen the screws that hold the back cover in place and swing it to one side. There will be wires connecting it to the board so you won't be able to remove it completely. You should then be able to check the belt. Actually, depending upon the age of the I/S, the board may not be in the back but under the cover on top of the machine. Regardless, there will still be wires connecting the back cover.

The motors cost around $200 if you think it really needs replacing. How old is this I/S - do you know?

Helen

Helen, I guess the belt is okay because I did check the one we could access. It is slightly frayed though so I should probably

change it anway.

I'm not sure how old the I/S is. I bought the machine with it installed in 07. Since Zoltan only lived less than an hour from

me he let me run it down to him. He said it was one of the first apqs machines he had done. I don't know when the company

started, so between then and 2007. It is a 2001 ultimate 1, so between 2001 and 2006.??? He was extrememly kind to

me!!!!

That is a great price for the motor.

I'll keep you updated when I get the new brushes. The machine is still running and I trust my husband completely when

he says I won't ruin the machine by still using it. I must admit he is one smart cookie.

Thanks for responding and easing my mind, Happy Thanksgiving,

Michele

Archived