Help with ideas for second memory quilt

Earlier this middle summer I asked for suggestions on how to quilt a memory quilt my cousin made in memory of their daughter. This quilt is the second one she made with the young lady's shirts that showed her interests in showing her family's poultry and such. The dark blocks are a deep navy blue with a tinge of a deep purple rather than pure blue. Then there is the bold bright pink, and the pink and purple mixed. You can easily see the colors of the shirts, etc., but the ones towards the bottom are fairly bright orange. In one of the navy blocks she would like me to stitch out a chicken. The others just whatever I want.

My question is this - what color top thread would you use? I have the quilting figured out but am hung up on thread. Cousin brought over taupe backing and I offered a matching pink back I had, but she didn't want that. Batting is a higher loft batting, so using two different colors of thread front and back should be no issue. But I don't look forward to having to change top thread to match all the contrasting blocks. I was thinking of a purple that would go with all of them, or should I be thinking more than one? Variagated? This is a no charge gift to them - what do ya'll think? Thank you so much, in advance, for your suggestions!!

I hope the picture comes out ok! When this one is finished I'll post pics of both quilts. I haven't done it before, but you all have been so generous with your suggestions and ideas and I appreciate it.

Lay some thread out on the top and see what sings to you.

The problem with variegated is that when you match the colors in the thread to the colors in the fabric there are areas that match and the thread disappears. I usually pick a variegated that looks good but doesn't have the exact same colors. I like Rainbows and have few issues with it

How about a variegated with lots of reds and oranges in it? That will give lots of contrast on the dark purple plain blocks and stand up to the pinks and yellows as well without distracting from the printing on the shirts.

I rarely use varigated because it goes from showing up a lot to not showing at all and I just don't personally care for that look. In general I go with threads that blend in. If you choose a thin thread it would blend in more easily. of course anything on the dark blue blocks that matches in the pink areas is going to show. If the blue blocks are where your going to do quilting that shows then you would be just fine. I'd puddle a bunch of threads and see which one is most pleasing. You could also consider a clear thread. Good luck.

With as bright and bold as this quilt is, I wouldn't be afraid to use some bold thread choices as well. May be a fun time to use some of those colors that rarely make the machine. I think you will get to use multiple thread colors. I see you have a Quality Chicks shirt in there...our daughter went to Luther and came home with one of those shirts for herself and her sisters!

I'm going to take the top and run in to a LQS and see what else I can come up with. I'm still fairly new at LA quilting, so I don't have a formidable stash of thread to choose from yet. I'm still not sure which way to go, and I know the thread I have doesn't match well enough. What a simple issue to hang me up! I guess I just want it to be the best I can do for them. Getting this top to sing is becoming difficult because cousin does not want custom stitching - she picked a panto and wants that all over EXCEPT over the t-shirt blocks. So I'll have to pre-mark over my panto where all the starts and stops will be, is going to be a real pain but I've got it planned out. If I could do custom it would be easier than having to panto around the t-shirt blocks.... Thanks, Linda and Heidi

Charlotte, yes the t-shirt was from the chick hatchery business in Decorah! A big deal to everyone to get one of their shirts :P when someone visits. Luther is an excellent private college and Decorah is a beautiful place. We live a bit south of there and love the community and its businesses.

I am thinking that bright, bold and possibly variegated in contrasting colors as Linda suggested for this top. Being I can't custom, which is my preferred style, I think you two are right about adding pizazz with color. Heading to Decorah to check out thread soon! Thanks!!

Have you thought about a the poly or nylon smoke thread? I'm getting ready to do a t shirt quilt with reds, purple orange and white blocks. I'm going to use the smoke on it. It will melt into the colors and show the texture and will be a very fine stitch on the 2 white blocks. For your quilt you could change the thread to do the Chickens then the chick would show. If you are going to put a chick in each of the dark plain blocks you could use a different threads for each chick! Good luck.!!!

Have you thought about a the poly or nylon smoke thread? I'm getting ready to do a t shirt quilt with reds, purple orange and white blocks. I'm going to use the smoke on it. It will melt into the colors and show the texture and will be a very fine stitch on the 2 white blocks. For your quilt you could change the thread to do the Chickens then the chick would show. If you are going to put a chick in each of the dark plain blocks you could use a different threads for each chick! Good luck.!!!

Thanks for your imput, Dell. Both of these are for her other kids and they will be used, and therefore washed often. I wasn't sure about the durability of the clear or smoke threads from the dryer. What is your experience on that?

And I should clarify, she wants this panto'd, but not on the blocks or the area for a chicken. We decided the chicken would be done on one of the navy blocks, but putting more than one in on the navys would be neat.

Archived