found a neat studio idea

sammi357

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/storage/sewing-quilting/perfect-sewing-room/#page=6

Found this cool idea for a cutting table while surfing sewing room ideas today. I love these chrome units...I have them filled with tubs of fabric.

(Hi, I'm Sammi, I'm a hoarder...! lol! Just fabric, tho! lol!)

I think the same idea could be used for those that have been asking about ironing surfaces, a cut-to fit board with an ironing surface on it could be fitted on the posts of the unit.

They're reasonable and available at Costco, and the whole shelving unit could be used as two halves.

Nice idea, but I am always amazed at decorator style sewing rooms--filled with only 3 or 4 items of the same thing. They must not ever look in our rooms where we have every surface covered, all nooks and crannys filled and still looking for space to put the rest.

They are not quilters/LONGARMERS, that's why. Our world is totally different from their perspectives.

I have a sewing(quilting) room and a LA room. Neither one of them looks like that! I have a tiny surface cleared on my ironing board to use and a little room around my sewing machine, the rest seems to be overflowing with stuff. My LA room is pretty sparse, there isn't room for anything else! Just a walking path around the machine, a little cupboard for thread and a tiny cart to hold stuff next to the machine, no more room!

I do like the idea, now if I could just figure out where to put it!

I have done this and love it - due to very limited space I came up with this idea a couple of years ago. My board is smaller and is covered with the ironing board cover. I keep a cutting mat with some rulers on my top shelf - so I use my cart for both cutting and pressing - fits nicely up again the wall and is great to keep all my smaller cutting rulers in a box and current project pieces at hand. It allows me to keep my big pressing board put away until towards the end of a project.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a wooden TV tray next to me at my sewing machine. I have the turning cutting mat on it and use it all the time for trimming when sewing or paper piecing. I take it to quilt retreats also. Works great and portable. Saves me from jumping up and down to the cutting table. It could work as a small ironing surface also. May have to work on that.

I'm not sure about being 'special' ... but I was well on my way to a Hoarders special ... and this particular mess was/is just one of 3 rooms. I'll be working on the sewing room in the next week or so.

BTW, these are ELFA units. They are currently on sale (only go on sale once a year) at your local The Container Store. I can't explain the lightness of being that I feel when I enter this room. It feels like I actually have room to design, room to work, room to just experiment. Before, it was so chaotic I felt a bit smothered.

The other really great by-product of all this is that I have actually touched all that fabric that went into the drawers ... and I know exactly where a particular piece of fabric is located. I folded everything on cardboard stock and measured each length of fabric as I folded it. I have a bin of Kaffe Fassett's, a bin of batiks, a bin of reds (LOVE my reds), a bin of contemporary, a bin of neutrals, a bin of blacks/browns. You get the picture. I segregated according to how I use my fabrics. And I tend to use my fabrics by color ... or by trend.

Now on to the sewing room! Thanks for looking! And a Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone ...

I love the Elfa units. I set up two sets three years ago - one for all of my fabric and one for Hannah's toys. Hmmmm, since she isn't playing with most of the toys anymore, I see an opportunity to donate toys and to acquire more fabric storage;) Seriously, I love the units. They keep fabric looking tidy and they let the fabric breathe. I used to hate the smell of the fabric outgassing when I stored everything in plastic tubs. Like Sylvia, the storage units gave me an entirely new perspective on my space.

Still, my horizontal surfaces stack up when I'm working on more than one project at a time - which is most of the time.

Lynn

Dancing Bear ,what a terrific before and after !!! My sewing/guest bedroom gets a serious cleaning at least once a year when the kids come home for x-mas ,its so refreshing starting out the new year in a clean and organized space .I even go as far as tucking the machines back into thier cabinets ,well one anyway ,lol . I thought I would be able to relocate it all downstairs into the big room once the longarm arrived ,that was a joke ,whew it took up the whole room .

Archived