Thread 'snapping' yet continues sewing

Darndest thing I've started to have problems with. The last quilt I worked on (using Glide thread) I had a couple jams (Intellistitch stitch regulation) which I quickly shut off the sr, restarted and fine. It only happened twice for no apparent reason: ie, no thick intersection, etc. Just didn't understand it, but I changed needles each time to be sure the needles were not now bent, and continued on. Now I'm working on something else with cairo-quilt (35# weight) cotton thread (from fil-tec) and I have problems I've not experience before. I'll be stitching along and I'll hear a 'snap' sound, like thread snapping, and will notice that the top thread has snapped one stitch yet it picks right up and continues on stitching normally past that (no breaks or missed stitches). Seems to happen going left to right but not every time. I checked needle depth, looks fine, checked for burrs and really didn't feel anything at all. Took magnifying glass and light and don't see the hook deflecting the needle but they do kiss - more lightly than when I timed the machine some time ago. Is this a sign of needing to do timing again? And if so, does anyone with I/S stitch regulation know if, once I re-time the machine, I'll need to re-time the I/S? I will give them a call, or shoot an email, and hope for a timely response but wondered if someone on here knows the answer? Thanks!

Marci, I have an Intelli-Stitch stitch regulator on my machine (Nolting 24 Pro) but am no help to you with any answers about timing and the I/S. I would think there is no correlation but who knows? I hope you get it figured out easily! I have had this thread break but stitch keeps forming thing happen to me once and it was the oddest thing indeed! I trumped it up to the batting as I had troubles with a certain roll of Hobbs 80/20, but I, too, was quilting with Glide thread at the time. Good luck, and if you don't mind posting what you figure out, I would like to add it to my log of things to think of!

Hook Maintenance Instructions.docMarci,

That's indicative of a burr somewhere on your hook assembly, and it's hanging on to the thread long enough to carry it around the hook another time where the needle can find it and it begins sewing again. Remove the needle plate and needle, then look down from the top into the bobbin area. Rotate your fly wheel UP on the left side of the machine so you get the correct hook rotation.

Turn the wheel until you see a part of the silver hook assembly that resembles the thumb of a mitten on your left hand. It will be rounded. The area that might be considered the "webbing" between your thumb and palm is where a burr can hide. The needle just misses this area as it travels down, but if it deflects enough and scratches that area, you'll have a burr.

The other part that can get a burr is the forward-facing portion of the hook's rim. Examine that very carefully. If you find a scratch or burr, rotate the hook until that rough spot faces the floor to prevent any shavings from falling into the hook. Then use fine emery cloth (found in the hardware store, often in the plumbing section) to smooth out the burr. After doing that, give the hook the heavy-duty clean with WD 40 and oil to remove any other residue.

I've attached a "hook maintenance" document that may help. If you still have trouble, let me know!

Bonnie, it is with the Cairo-quilt thread, a heavier cotton, that it is snapping. But it would "snag" when it did this using Glide - a complete stitch would form but the thread would 'snag' (not snap) and there would be a light fraying of the top thread as it laid on the quilt. So something is catching but I have to figure out what.....

Barb, I've checked my thread path and I'm not sure if I have it going through the thread guide above the tension assembly correctly. My old machine does not have a user manual, so would someone be willing to post a picture of the way you have the thread through that guide with both heavier cottons and regular threads (I believe they are to be threaded differently if having troubles?) That may help me. Thanks!

Archived