Running out of room

Lynne in Iowa

I ventured out into the blizzard, thru the wind and drifts to the shop to work on the quilt I have on the frame. I am using my quiltazoid to make an interlocking pattern of 12 inch circles.

I am about half way thru and discovering that as I roll, I no longer have enough throat space for a 12 inch circle. My question is "Now what do I do!" I really don't want to take out what I have done, I've already got one on the frogging pile.

Since it is a modern type design quilt of interlocking squares I am wondering about just gradually bumping the circles down in size on the second half of the quilt. Would this look strange or like a cool modern design that was supposed to be that way?

Love my lenni except when I try to do a bigger quilt.

Can't you adjust the stylist to so you have room? I'm I making sense?

Not with that big of an adjustment, but you got me thinking I might have measure wrong. I think I will wait until it isn't a blizzard out anymore to go back out and check. It quit snowing, but the wind has really kicked up. Just plain nasty out, all the plows are off the roads and no travel is recommended.

I'm just venturing into "modern quilting". My first one is on the frame now.

It seems to me that you can indeed reduce the size of the circles as you go. That would fit into the geometric with asymmetry category, I say. :)

Now that makes it at least sound like it was supposed to be that way if any one asks!

lynne -

i watched angela walters craftsy class and she actually 'taught' how to change the size of a design to add interest to a quilt. :)

she marked her quilt in thirds, i think, and when she got to the marks, she would reduce or increase the design size.

she mixed the sizes together in the transition areas, but i bet you could change it without doing that and still get a good result. ;)

good luck!

Lynne, I was thinking the same thing as Meg said, pick several motifs that you want to quilt and gradually blend from one into the other, that goes also with changing the sizes of your circles. If you look at Angela Walter's quilts, you will see where she did that on one...I think the secret is to make it look like you did it intentionally.

By the date of this post, I imagine this quilt issue has already been resoilved, but what I would have done to deal with the problem, is turn the quilt. Then the remaining blocks could be done horizontally rather than vertically. Probably have to turn it twice to finish depending on how wide it is, but that's a lot better than frogging. The next quilt I did like this, I'd remember the max size circle I could stitch with the take up roller full, to avoid the same problem.

This is probably not too much help, but maybe it will help someone in the future. It would be helpful if the person with the problem would follow up with a post describing the soultion they settled on. It might be someting completely different than those suggested. Jim

Actually it is still on the machine, with the snow storm, Christmas and everything else going on I haven't gotten back to it. I think I am just going to decrease the size of the circles the rest of the way thru. Since I am half way thru at that size, maybe I'll go a 1/4 of the way with 10 inchers and the last 1/4 with 8 inchers and it will just look like it was supposed to be that way! If not, it is my quilt and a couch cuddler anyway so I'm not going to worry about it. Just won't make 12 inch circles again.

Archived