Spiro attachment

mswings

Virginia: I started to talk about use, but then as I thought about it, I decided that the place to begin is to find a suitable place to store all the pieces. Drawers will probably work OK, but since I didn't have any, and I'm very concerned about the "foot print" of anything in my studio, I chose to hang mine on the wall. I guess any type of hanger would probably work, but I drilled 3/8" noles in my window trim (down the side), angled slightly so the gear would not slide off, cut 3" sections of 3/8" dowel and put the dowels in the holes. I drilled 5 holes, spaced about 4" appart, one each for the 4 gear sets, and one for the crank handle. My window trim is flat and about 4" wide, so this was easy to do, and worked out well. I put a dry wall screw near the edge of the window top trim and hang the reducer gear on it. It hangs so that the center screw assembly points into the window and the gear can lay flat. I would be a little bit worried about throwing that piece into a drawer. Now on to the use.

The first thing you have to do is master the insertion of the gears. This can be a little tricky, so practice inserting the gears, stitch out a pattern on a practice piece. Examine the pattern and see that it matches the design shown for it. After you feel confident about positioning the QZ and inserting the gears, go on to the advanced appilications. Do some nested patterns. After you feel like you've mastered the "nests", try some ribbon designs. Finally after you feel comfortable with the ribbons, go to the epitrochoids.

There are so many possibilities, you will probably not use them all in several years. This is just the neatest machine. The design is so good, and the materials used to make it are just top rate, and it will do so many different things. Enjoy. Jim

Virginia: I guess I should have added that I drilled a small hole (about 3/16" between the clamping knobs of the actual spiro assembly, drove a stout finishing nail into the wall, and hang the assembly on the nail. I have a similar arrangement to hold the QZ unit itself. Everything hangs on the wall, so I always know where it is, and it's out of harms way. Jim

We keep our gears and reducer ring etc. in a small drawer. We put no slip under them, and under the second layer.

We Have the instruction book up on a very small shelf, and it's all ready to go. Oh, the spiro itself we put on the wall with the end barely sitting on the floor. Keeps it out of the way. The main unit and tray we keep on top of a small set of shelves under the table. It's just good to have it handy and still out of the way.

Have fun, practice with a grin on your face, and enjoyment in your heart.

Rita

Virginia I hope by now you've started to play. I say just pick a design that you like and start there. Then change the positions on that design and get a feel for how the design changes. Make sure you write down the settings in case you love it! I love the celtic type designs and playing with designs inside designs. It has been a while since I've just played now you're getting me in the mood, just need more time.

I actually haven't had time yet to play Heidi. I am hoping to put something on the frame tomorrow. It does look a little intimidating. I am really interested in how to store it so I don't lose any pieces. I really want to learn how to do Celtic designs. I want to make an Irish Chain quilt for a friend of mine. Time has been in short supply with my girls being home for Christmas. it was wonderful seeing them. Between them and work, I haven't had time to even look at my Millie. They have both gone back home now so I can play with my new toys. I'll let you know how I like it. Hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas.

Virginia,

I have a dresser right next to my machine that I can store the base and arm in. If I didn't I would hang it on the wall. I put the gears in a drawer as well. The little parts hang in a mesh bag, made from screening, and hang right next to the machine. This has worked out pretty well for me. I store all my templates in a holder made for lids for pots and pans.

Just go through it step by step. Make up a little list if you need it but the most important thing is to tighten down the screws once you have it lined up right. You'll find it gets easier after a good day of use. You just get a rhythm.

Virginia: I forgot to mention that I store my templates by hanging them on a different wall. I have 4 finishing nails I hang them on. So far I have 10 templates. I also made up a manilla folder for each template instruction as well as one for the Quiltazoid instruction, one for the Spiro instruction, and one for the Spiro patterns. I keep these on a shelf with my machine owners manual and several quilting books. I sent you photos of the Spiro storage earlier. Jim

Archived