Trouble with Magna-Glide Delights...:(. SUCCESS! Thanks everyone!

I am very frustrated with the Magna-Glide delights I bought. They behave very poorly for me. I will be quilting along and suddenly the bobbin thread comes to a dead stop and breaks. Sometimes I quilt a fair ways before it happens again, and other times it happens within an inch of starting again....grrrrrrr...:( when I pull out the bobbin case, this is what it looks like...

8324282240_3c8fef143f.jpg

My Photo Stream-999 by RoseCity Quilter, on Flickr

I have great luck with the Magna-glide Classics (love them!) and any other kind of bobbin.....

I can't tell easily from the photo, Ardelle, but it looks like the thread is in the wrong position exiting the case. Shouldn't it be coming out of the hole and not in the crevice next to it? If the thread is caught in the crack it would be snapped and that extra length of thread would spool off before the bobbin stopped. As for a solution? I don't have a clue--sorry! :unsure:

I can't tell easily from the photo, Ardelle, but it looks like the thread is in the wrong position exiting the case. Shouldn't it be coming out of the hole and not in the crevice next to it? If the thread is caught in the crack it would be snapped and that extra length of thread would spool off before the bobbin stopped. As for a solution? I don't have a clue--sorry! :unsure:

Yes, it is in the wrong spot, sure wish I could figure out why.....

The bobbin should turn clockwise when the bobbin is threaded in the case ( thread comes over the top from the left) in the case when pulling the thread. It appears the bobbin magnet may have been placed on the wrong side (the bobbin appears to be turning in the wrong direction). Check all your bobbins to ensure they turn clockwise when in the bobbin case and the thread comes from left to right on the top.

She has the magnet on the inside so her bobbin looks correct to me. Ardelle, did you remove the spring in the bobbin case? Your problem sounds to me like this bobbin case. One I load my case, I always pull a section out to see if it will pull freely because early on I had a problem with it getting caught somewhere. Hopefully, you have this solved by now.

Ardelle, I use Delights almost exclusively, and almost never have problems. But today I was quilting along and the thread snapped...like three times in a row. This ended up being the culprit...I ran a straight pin under the bobbin finger and was back to quilting with no thread breaks. I have also started running my bobbins at about 160 on the Towa gauge after reading Bob Purcell's (Superior Threads) last newsletter. That seems to help with many issues. Good luck!

post-1093-0-19680800-1356917043_thumb.jpg

From Superior Threads December newsletter:

Q. Longarm tension: If I loosen the top tension to the point of avoiding breaks, I get loops on the back. If I tighten it in order to stop the looping, the thread breaks. Can you help?

A. Yes. Finding the “sweet spot” depends on the top and bobbin tension being balanced or in sync. The problem described above is very common, especially with tightly tensioned longarm machines. It is the perfect example of the bobbin tension and top tension being out of balance. A machine's tension is actually determined by the bobbin and the top tension adjusters are the "balancers." 99% of the time when the above-described problem occurs, the bobbin tension is way too tight. Loosening the bobbin tension to match the top tension will solve the problem. If you use the Towa Bobbin Tension Gauge, the most common range we use is between 160 and 190. Many longarm machines are factory preset to 250 which is very tight. Running the machine with looser top and bobbin tension results in a balanced tension and usually solves the problem. If you do not want to change the bobbin tension on your longarm, you will be stuck using a very narrow selection of threads and your machine will not perform to its potential.

So today I :

-snipped the little thread tail, did not help

-put a brand new bobbin case in, no change

-played with bobbin tension, no change

-played with both top and bottom tension, same problems

-cleaned and oiled machine, same issue

-tried different Magna-glide delights, same thing

-used bad words (#%}+}€) , same trouble

- quit, .....

Anyone want to buy my delights. :(

Ardelle,

You might want to let FILTEC know the issue, could be a bad batch of thread. I had a new big cone of magna glide, (not bobbin) it was way too bad breaking even after many hours of adjustments & want to throw it away, made me so mad. I switch to another cone and all went well. I love their products & hardly ever have any problems using them.

By far I am not an expert but had the same issue, top thread looked fine and the back had loops, not every stitch but about every 4th stitch would loop. After tinkering with all the above suggestions with no look I called the service tech and my problem was the hopping foot was too high on one side after adjusting it all was well.

Ardelle, I've been having the exact problem. The bobbin colour was black, so I assumed the excess dye might be the culprit. I applied Sewers Aid to the bobbin, and the problem pretty much disappeared. I will do a thorough WD40 clean when I'm done using black, try another colour and see what happens. Our Canadian homes get pretty dry in the winter, so that might be adding to the problems.

Ardelle, I had that problem with a batch of black fil tec bobbins, I called them and they sent out a replacement box right away and a postage paid label for me to send back the rest of the bad box to them. I found that to be the problem after trying all of the same things you did as well as checking the entire bobbin area for any burrs including the needle plate and changing the needle and adjusting the hopping foot to be sure it was level too. A new box of prewounds did the trick for me.

Ardelle, I've been having the exact problem. The bobbin colour was black, so I assumed the excess dye might be the culprit. I applied Sewers Aid to the bobbin, and the problem pretty much disappeared. I will do a thorough WD40 clean when I'm done using black, try another colour and see what happens. Our Canadian homes get pretty dry in the winter, so that might be adding to the problems.

SUCCESS!!! :D. Thanks Gail, the Sewer's Aid did the trick! Now why didn't I think of that!

THAMKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! :D

Archived