Smooth fluid motion???

You have received great advice from everyone so far so I am just jumping in to say, I was so discouraged at first because I had square where I should have had roundness. The dreaded PPP words were so key in getting the squares to go away and the final key was the M&M wheels. Dawn is always as close as email or the phone and she is terrific in helping fix us.

Re-leveled the table, tweaked the truss, and not sure how but managed to get the cam's adjusted. Half a dozen Q-tips later I think the wheels are clean(er), polished the rails to almost mirror quality. Not 100%, but deffinately rolls smoother from left to right. Still getting the M&M's. Going to throw another Muslin sandwich on it this weekend and burn some circles. Thanks again for all of the help.

James

Hello,

I think you might want to make sure your table is level all the way, end to end, on both sides of the table and front to back

all along the width of the table. I've no idea how your table is set up, two pieces, 4, 6 or 8 legs, jacks, struts, etc. etc.

Good Luck, and P P P P P P P

and enjoy. Finger tips keep a gentle yet nice guiding stitching you don't want to ummm I guess I'll say manhandle or

use a strangle hold on the machine, as that is when you don't get pretty stitching and patterns. Try going on the slower side,

but not slow speed, or as Heidi once said.. Turn it on and go like Hell.. that will truely give you a feel for the machine.

Also, Relax and Breathe.. relax and breathe.

and P P P P P P P P P

Rita

• 2 weeks later...

So glad you posted this! My Ultimate I came home yesterday and I've been playing nonstop trying to get that elusive free flowing movement. I had very boxy square circles too. I was really discouraged at first thinking "crap, I spent thousands of dollars on this and my free motion looks a million times better on my domestic!" It's getting better and I'm feeling a lot more confident today as I've made a few changes that have helped. Mine came on a 14 ft. frame with a plexi table - I found when I removed the plexiglass I had a HUGE improvement. Mine came also with Edgerider wheels but I think a couple of them may be on too tight. My Dad is headed over tomorrow with some tools. I was fortunate enough to get the original DVD that came with my 14 year old machine and even with reading up on here I learned quite a bit from that.

I'll be keeping up with your progress and what you learn...I think we're kind of in the same boat with having "new to us" used machines!!! :)

So glad you posted this! My Ultimate I came home yesterday and I've been playing nonstop trying to get that elusive free flowing movement. I had very boxy square circles too. I was really discouraged at first thinking "crap, I spent thousands of dollars on this and my free motion looks a million times better on my domestic!" It's getting better and I'm feeling a lot more confident today as I've made a few changes that have helped. Mine came on a 14 ft. frame with a plexi table - I found when I removed the plexiglass I had a HUGE improvement. Mine came also with Edgerider wheels but I think a couple of them may be on too tight. My Dad is headed over tomorrow with some tools. I was fortunate enough to get the original DVD that came with my 14 year old machine and even with reading up on here I learned quite a bit from that.

I'll be keeping up with your progress and what you learn...I think we're kind of in the same boat with having "new to us" used machines!!! :)

I have found this place to be a wealth of knowledge and help. Be sure and post pictures to show everyone your completed quilts.

James

I have a Freedom. It is 5 years old. I did squares (circles) for a long time. I practiced on cheap fabric or old sheets. I would use a different color thread when I had done a sheet full and do it all over again. My dh said I was burning thread!! I am proud to say I have greatly improved. It takes much, much, much practice. I got the m&m wheels last year and I love them. But I did learn to do the circles with the old wheels.

I love my Freedom. It is a great machine. I have had no problems with it. Sometimes I am the problem, I have the tension set wrong or I have it threaded wrong. Hang in there. You, too, will make beautiful circles!! Good luck. Janice

Archived