Bobbin questions

I continue to have problems with my bobbin thread breaking. I am pretty sure it is a backlash issue because the thread snaps, doesn't shred, and it is sometimes wrapped around the post in the bobbin case. Most of the breakage happens when the bobbin is full. After about a fourth of the thread is gone, I can finish out the bobbin with hardly any breaks at all. The spring in the bobbin needs to be quite springy for me to sew successfully. I have used Bottomline most of the time - when I used Omni (Superior Threads), I had no problems at all - maybe because there was not as much thread on the bobbin? The next time I place a thread order I will be sure to get some pre wounds and try them. My question is do you think that throwing out my steel bobbins and using aluminum ones will help? Also, I ordered a bunch of bobbin cases with the spring that looks like a horseshoe - does the other kind of spring work any better? Sorry for the long post!

Carol

Hi Carol,

Bottom Line can be a very slippery thread inside the bobbin case itself. When you stop quilting or change direction, the bobbin continues to spin and will let a little more thread come off the bobbin. That extra thread puddles up inside the bobbin case. When you start quilting again, and the machine pulls on that extra thread, it can sometimes cause it to snarl or snag upon itself and then break. When a bobbin is very full, then the thread tends to either slip around on the outside of the bobbin or sneak out between the edges of the bobbin and the bobbin case itself. Once again this causes a problem when you start quilting again in the thread catches on the edge of the bobbin, snapping it.

It sounds like you've tried a couple of different cases and have found one that works for now. The reason it works better when you push those little fingers up further is that it stopping the overspinning of the bobbin. You asked about whether there is a difference between the horseshoe or the straight flat edge of the backlash bring in your bobbin case. We have not noticed a measurable difference between the two. However you will notice a difference between metal and aluminum bobbins. Aluminum bobbins are lighter in weight, and therefore do not spin as readily when you stop the machine. They stop and start quickly without the little extra "jerk" required to get a metal bobbin started again. It helps to reduce the backlash inside the bobbin case.

For this reason you will also have good success with a pre-wound bobbin. It's tightly wound upon itself and doesn't "puddle" as easily, and it also is lighter weight so it stops spinning quickly.

One thing you might want to check is the tension on your bobbin winder. Be sure the bobbin thread does not feel "spongy" if you push on it with your fingernail on a fully wound bobbin. It should feel really firm. If it doesn't, tighten your bobbin winder tension. Loosely wound bobbins will cause breakage and trouble, too.

Thank you Dawn for helping me understand what is happening with the bobbin. It makes perfect sense and matches what I have observed exactly. I have one more question- I plan to buy another set of empty bobbins - will the plastic ones offered at Superior Threads work or should I get the aluminum ones? I just visited bobbincentral to do some shopping - thanks Sue - I will give the MagnaGlides a try.

Carol

Carol,

I have the Lenni, and she hated the metal, loved the alumnium. Not sure any more, I think

I traded bobbins with someone, then ordered more aluminum.. haven't regretted it yet.

I also use the Bobbin Genie instead of the spring in the bobbin case..

That also stopped some problems I was still having. Don' t know what they were.

A bit of bad memory here.. :rolleyes:

Rita

Carol,

Unfortunately you'll get inconsistent results from the plastic-sided ones. As thread winds on them at high speed, it can cause the sides of the plastic ones to expand slightly and bow. Then they won't spin smoothly inside the bobbin case. Give the aluminum ones a try.

If you use the MagnaGlides from Bobbin Central with the magnetic core, then take that bobbin backlash or brake spring out of the bobbin case. :)

I noticed a big difference with the horseshoe spring bobbins.

I could never get them to work for me.

When I'm winding my own bobbins, I use only the bobbins i bought from APQS.

So as not to waste, I use the 2 horseshoe ones i have for magna glide, since you remove the spring anyway.

Archived