Top shredding and looping

I have been sewing along just fine....lots of crosshatching today.....and then all of a sudden I can't sew without top thread shredding and every top stitch is super loose on top of the fabric. Even when I adjusted the bobbin thread to be way too loose this still happens. Helpppp. I have had perfect tension for days. It's been awesome.

Jess

I think your just tired and need to take a break and have a beverage of your choice. Then of course I would do what Carol and Linda said. I would also change the needle and take the bobbin out to make sure it is clean and the thread isn't hung up anywhere in it then leave it all until tomorrow when you are fresh and ready to take it on. :D

Yep I did all the regular stuff, rethreaded,, checked the path, cleaned the bobbin. One thing I noticed a couple days ago is that there is some thread wrapped around the very back part of the bobbin area, right up against the back. I can't get it out and it hasn't been a problem. But do you think somehow this could be my problem? I kinda hope not because its good and stuck.

Check for any burrs, snags, throat plate is smooth at the needle hole, and

anywhere in the bobbin area that might have a little nick, etc. Also include

the bobbin it self. Those little boogies can be a pain.. Hope it's just the thread

path.

Rita

Yep I did all the regular stuff, rethreaded,, checked the path, cleaned the bobbin. One thing I noticed a couple days ago is that there is some thread wrapped around the very back part of the bobbin area, right up against the back. I can't get it out and it hasn't been a problem. But do you think somehow this could be my problem? I kinda hope not because its good and stuck.

Jess, I would definitely get that thread out of the bobbin area with some long tweezers and some patience. If that's not causing your initial problem, it will most definitely cause problems down the road as I've had that happen before, too. Have you tried a different thread? Maybe there's a grove or nick on your tension discs?

Jessica, you should call Dawn for guidance, but I would guess that your little piece of thread in the bobbin may be your culprit. Try soaking the hook assembly in a good WD40 drench overnight, then spin it out and reclean the next morning. See if you can work that thread loose by grabbing it with tweezers and "rocking" your hook assembly back and forth.

Hi Jess,

You're on the right track. As Barb suggested, soak the hook assembly with WD-40 to help loosen and break down that thread. It can cause problems by preventing the hook from proper rotation. You asked about the "lifespan" of the tension check spring. It varies greatly depending on the type of thread run through the machine (for example, running lots of heavy polyester, or invisible thread, will wear the check spring more rapidly. It can last for a few years, or can wear out much faster with different sewing conditions.

One thing you didn't mention trying was a different spool of thread....but when the top thread begins to loop or shred, check the thread path first and foremost.

So this morning I don't see any thread behind the hook collar. Maybe it broke down or maybe its under the collar....I don't know. I loosened bobbin so that its way too loose and the top so its too tight and still get some flatlining underneath. I was able to work for a few minutes. The tension did not look as good as usual but was doable so I kept going slowly. It wasn't long though, that I got one small loop on top and a tiny nest under the quilt. Then 5 inches later the top shredded and broke.

Jess have you checked the head of the screw close to the first pigtail guide? Does it have a small burr on it. I had something similar, where the thread kept shredding, I covered the two screws near the pigtail guides with blue tape AND I changed to another new needle and it fixed itself! I was using Invisifil but It is fine enough that it was catching on a burr somewhere ( bobble in tension), then when it got to the bobbin case it would snap.

Bobbin case was the problem. Its weird how all of a sudden it was no good any more. I have two other cases. I pulled the thread while holding it in my hand....I did this for all three cases, and the one I had been using definitely felt different. So, in the trash it went.

I'm happily back to work.

Archived