Sample quilts?

I have been reading here for hours and was wonder a few things. When you say to bring in a sample to the LQS what kind of sample do you mean? I mean size, fabric and pattern? I talked to the owner of the LQS back in December and she said to bring in a sample before she would refer my business. I wasn't ready to take anything on since I was scrambling to get Christmas presents done. I have done a few customers quilts but nothing fancy. Should I buy the fabric and patterns from her. I have a big stash of fabric and hate to drive 45 miles to get more.

Not to mention the funds are low. But if I don't generate some business soon, me and my LA might be on the streets. DH is a little scared that he will have to make the payments himself. :P:P

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

MN

Angela

If you are not PPP enough work , try getting some community quilts to practice on from your guild. It worked great for me as I done about 4 a month and it will get faster as you progress. If your work is not perfect thats fine and guild person in charge of community quilts will let you know what is good and what needs working on. As long as you provide the thread they usually provide the backing, top, batting and binding. It was a great help to me and its a learning curve. You can email me at: busybees@centurytel.net for more information. Good luck Nita

Angela,

If you have some plain muslin or some pretty solid fabric this is all the really is required for a sample quilt. OR if you have a quilt top that has several blocks with sashing you can make a sample quilt of that as well.

A sample quilt is like already mentioned (Teresa made an great example of one) a piece about 45 to 60 inches square. You can can draw or sew off areas and stick a design that you are comfortable in using in each square....then mark off some border and sashing areas and use either a design or a freehand element there as well. Include some background designs and most importantly enjoy what you are doing.

Finish off the quilt with a binding and a back tube so if your LQS wants to hang it...then they can.

Teresa, have you gotten yours back yet...if so maybe you can resend pictures for Angela to look at.

Happy Quilting.

Thank you everyone for your help. Thank you Teresa for the picture I really appreciate it. It gives me a place to start. How big was the sampler that you did?

I know that there is a guild in the next town south of here but my neighbor down the road (3 Miles) gets a lot of her business from there. I hate to step on her toes as she has been wonderful in helping me out in the beginning. Plus they are on a Thursday night and I have to take my daughter to class that night, my husband works nights. I have wanted to go for years. Maybe next year when she starts kindergarten. I think that they tried to form one in the town north of me and to the west. But I don't think that they had much luck. Unfortunately I live in one of the poorest counties in the state of MN.

But I know there are alot of quilter's out there I just have to find them. My neighbor stays more than busy and she has never had to advertise in the 6 years that she has had her machine. She also bought it for herself never intending to have a business.

I just need to get out there and PPPand P some more.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting, MN

In a class that I took with Dawn Cavanaugh, she suggested Cotton Sateen as a fabric for samples. Because one side has a satiny (not a word I'm sure) finish, it makes your stitching look very good. She has like 6 or 7 samples hanging in class - they are fantastic. Made just like the one Teresa made.

Vicki, That is the one I made when I took Phil Beaver's class at French Lick, Indiana. That was the best class money I have ever spent. I learned about color, composition, fabric dyeing and painting, AND he's a really neat guy. If you ever get a chance to take one of his classes you should. I think you'd enjoy it. The quilts he makes are perfect for your little embellishments that you like to do.

Archived