Planet Patchwork..New Years Day 2013 Mystery

i love mysteries too. I read about this one on Dory's blog...so I had to do it. It was alot of fun..especially since madeline sewed with me. we hadn't done anything like this for quite some time. we already have the backs built...and hopefully in a week or so can get them on the machine to quilt. she is very artistic...can't wait to see how she quilts hers. i am thinking unevenly spaced straight lines going both vertically and horizontally. might be boring...but might look nice too. still thinking on it. i never was very good at following directions...so where the pattern said to go from light to dark...i decided to use all fabrics in the same medium range. i got a much different result from madeline...but i think it looks modern!

I too participated in the Planet Patchwork New Year's Day Mystery. I didn't select fabric with enough contrast between with the background and #2 and #3, nonetheless, it was fun. I like the contrast in both of the quilt pics you posted.

I enjoy quilt mysteries. I'm a panto girl, I quilted an E2E.

I'm happy with the result.

For a quick quilt, I might do this one again.

These modern graphic quilts usually call for minimal quilting which won't distract the eye from the trellis effect. Straight lines, maybe a square spiral in the big areas, SID--all things I'm sure you've already thought about. The other option is an overall-I'd do some curves/medium overall to add texture so the piecing can shine. (They're both pretty, but the purple one is calling my name!) :)

Archived