Help top thread shredding

Okay here is what I have done.  I was getting occasional loopies on the back of top thread.  Thought maybe I had a nick in the hook assembly as i have already changed out pigtails, spring in tension assembly and rethreaded a bizzilion times.  Tried to find nick and sand off, still had issues.  So I changed out my hook assembly and retimed.  It is making beautiful stitches, best I have had in months but when I go to the left and towards the front I hear my thread catching in the hook and it shreds.

Any ideas what I can change.  I'm going to put a new needle in WD-40 again and oil.  Then try again, if it doesn't work I'm walking away until after dinner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

Since you retimed your machine, you may have to do a slight tweak to stop the shredding. First, a new hook assembly is very sharp at the point (as it should be). It will have a tendency to pierce the thread loop behind the needle if things aren't quite right.

Start (off to the side of course) by loosening up both your top and bobbin tension until the stitches look loose. Then start tightening the top tension a little at a time. (A new hook assembly can be "tight" and may increase the bobbin thread pressure.) Thread can shred simply by having too much tension on it. Keep adjusting the top tension until your stitches look nice, then check the back side tension again. If you don't get any shredding, then then that's the culprit.

However, if it's still happening, then check the "hook rotation" and "hook clearance" steps in the timing one more time (especially since you're having the shredding in a directional manner.) If the hook meets the needle a bit too soon and the hook tip passes above the midpoint of the scarf on the back of the machine, then the hook tip will pierce the thread loop as earlier described because the loop hasn't completely formed yet. Likewise, if it passes too low on the needle, then the loop is already starting to close by the time the hook gets there.

If the hook clearance is a bit too far apart, again the hook could pierce the loop instead of catching the entire loop. Make sure the needle deflects slightly as the hook passes behind it.

Also, if you happen to have the hook retaining finger in a bit too far (step 4 in timing) then it will pinch your top thread and can cause looping, fraying or breaking. It should only be into the bobbin basket slot about 1/3 of the way...just enough to keep the basket from spinning.

I'll check back in tonight and see how you're doing!

Archived