More prayers for Elmer

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheri and Elmer

Please know that we are all praying for you both and that you are on our minds, I know this has been a very stressful time for you both, I hope that you are able to feel the love and prayers going on through this forum. 

Isa
40:31

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew
[their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and
not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

This has been heart wrenching for me and then I remind myself if it is like this for me what poor Cheri is going through.  Being a caregiver is a hard enough job but watching your spouse suffer is at times unbearable.  I watched my husband suffer this last year as he underwent treatment for a serious illness and it was so hard to watch.  I know how Cheri feels to a certain degree but it has been so much worse for her.  I want her to have the same miracle I had and I so wish it were that easy.  I'm still praying for a miracle.    

Reading her last caring bridge post,  tho she is going thru something we not wish on our worst enemy, she brings to light a VERY good point!

I have worked in the health care field for 25+ years---PLEASE ask your loved ones what they want & make your requests

CLEAR!

I see families go thru so much emotional upheavel because they were to afraid to bring up the subject!..  The small amount of discomfort you may go thru broaching the subject now will save you years of regrets and second guessing yourself.

There are forms at churches, hospitals, libraries and even senior centers that will walk you thru the steps and even cover things you may not have thought about!

Reading her last caring bridge post,  tho she is going thru something we not wish on our worst enemy, she brings to light a VERY good point!

I have worked in the health care field for 25+ years---PLEASE ask your loved ones what they want & make your requests

CLEAR!

I see families go thru so much emotional upheavel because they were to afraid to bring up the subject!..  The small amount of discomfort you may go thru broaching the subject now will save you years of regrets and second guessing yourself.

There are forms at churches, hospitals, libraries and even senior centers that will walk you thru the steps and even cover things you may not have thought about!

You are so right!  Even with directions it is a difficult thing and families will argue and make it even more painful.  I was the one that had to make the decision for my father and it was the hardest thing in the world to do even though I knew 100% what he would want.  My family is the master of "secrets" and it is up to you to make sure you let them know when appropriate, not at all a good approach.  I keep copies of my mother's and mother-inlaws papers in my purse, copy in both cars, with their dr's and at all hospitals they are in.  This way you at least don't have to deal with that problem.

My heart just breaks for her. She and Elmer continue to be in my prayers and when she doesn't post on Caring Bridge I get concerned.

Good idea Heidi to keep the paperwork with you and have copies at the doctor's office. The doctor's office lost my mom's DNR and it was a battle for almost a year because she was no longer capable of making that decision and they wouldn't honor my wishes.

I just checked the caringbridge page for Cheri's last update.  Seems the MRI shows not damage to the brain and doctors feel he should be able to wake up and that the unresponsiveness is medication induced.  I will take that as good news and continue to pray for Elmer's recovery.  Cheri is amazing...she has not left the hospital since Jan 18th when they entered.

i remember when Taylor spent those 10 days in the hospital and ICU. Very scary times indeed. I hadn't stepped foot outside the hospital the entire time. my husband and other kids came to us. 

Cheri...I know what it is like to not be able to leave Elmer's side...as I couldn't with taylor either.  hang in there and do not become worn down yourself. I know how easy it is to neglect yourself...not eat, not get proper rest, etc. I am still praying as are many others that the day will come when you both return home! you are much loved and thought about. lean on those around you and continue to write as you can on caring bridge. we are all reading (listening) as if we are at your side! 

Archived