Master applique quilt, custom quilt design ?

Hi,

I had a friend here yesterday who spend 2.5 years making this wonderful hand applique quilt

now we war discussing a quilt design for this quilt, we agreed on a lot of ideas.

But... we both thought a cross hatching design would be nice for the inside of the wreaths,

how do you do that, I cant go over the flower stems ? do I need to stop everytime and start anew ?

or do I go "down" on the stem and go the other directions ?

your help and ideas would be greatly appreciated !

thanks

Lisa

post-6297-0-04208100-1360404648_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-32682200-1360404665_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-20204300-1360404681_thumb.jpg

post-6297-0-23213900-1360404696_thumb.jpg

I have quilted alot of applique quilts like this and in my opinion if you want it to look the best and be show worthy (which it sounds like it should be after taking 2.5 years to make) you should "respect the stems".  I am working on one now and I do go around each and every stem and applique piece with clear monopoly thread and then you can fill in the background behind it.  I would also go around each of those flower stamen groups with a semi circle to let them stand out too.  Yes if you are doing crosshatching you should start and stop behind each stem and flower (you can travel to the next line if you can next to the outlined piece to make it a little easier) but that is why you charge appropriately for all of the time you will spend on this one.  The end result you want is to make the applique including the stitched stems, look like it is laying on top of the background stitching you are doing with the quilting.  It is alot of work and very time consuming but in the end will be worth it and she will be very happy with it and you will create a raving fan of your quilting.

By the way, she did a beautiful job with her needle turn applique.  I love that yellow and purple fabric she used in one of her flowers!

Applique quilts are among my favorites but they are definitely a lot of work!  This one is beautifully done and she had very good technique.  I always use a very thin thread so that I can travel along the stem seam and not have to start and stop.  If you are using a big contrasting thread then you will have to start and stop each pass and like Vicki says that is why you charge so much.  I use my quiltazoid to keep those lines all neat and clean.  Using clear thread for outlining the applique is the easiest thing to do.  Have fun.

Not too long ago I finished a Baltimore Album quilt I had in the drawer for 15 years! I used Linda Rech's cross hatching rulers on the entire background and then I did a micro stipple behind wreaths. While it still on the frame I took Cindy Needham's Craftsy class and went back and did the "scribbling" behind the wreaths and also in the background area of my feather border and it made them stand out beautifully; far more relaxing on the eye than the micro stipple. I love the texture of it, too!  In this photo it is still on the frame.

8458759228_47ece9de22.jpg
Strawberry block by Callender Quilts, on Flickr

Is there thread painting in the purple iris, the yellow highlighting? This is a beautiful top, and I can't wait until you post pics of it finished, however you quilt it.

Hi !

another friend of ours hand-dyed a piece of fabric for her in yellow and purple and she fuzzy cut the pieces out of it ! turned out beautiful !

Yes, scribbling is exactly what it sounds like. I learned this from Cindy Needham in her Craftsy Class: Design It; Quilt It. She also has a website and you can view her gallery; gorgeous, beautiful quilting. To scribble, stabilize the area by doing a regular meander or stipple through it and then just start scribbling. I use non-stitch regulated mode and a fairly fast speed. I tend to make small circles around and around over the top of the stipple. My photos of the entire quilt are horrible (done on my phone) so I need to take some better ones and post them for you later.  Try it on a practice scrap and have fun!  Visit:   www.cindyneedham.com

Cross hatching with the Quiltazoid is a lot easier than with a ruller. I can't hold a ruller steady enough. The Quiltazoid ever helps you keep the same spacing on the other side of stems and leaves. I like to use Superior's Bottom Line thread. It is nice and thin but string. After outlining all the flower elements you can travel to the next line of cross hatching along the flower outlines using a Quiltazoid too.

Archived