Metro versus Glide Thread

If you haven't already ordered your Rainbows thread....consider oredering Fantastico (Magnifico variegated) instead.  I have decided not to order Rainbows anymore.  There are threads that are a lot less headache, and produce the same result.  The Glide variegated is wonderful, and the Fantastico runs just as well.  Rainbows....not so much.  I can quilt for two hours and not have a thread issue.  Quit and go upstairs for lunch and when I come back, I can't quilt 2 inches with the stuff.  I have resorted to dumping the whole cone in silicone thread lube, which does help (but it makes the colors look icky for quite some time..though it eventually dries and returns to normal).  I have used Sewer's Aid on the cones, a tuft of batting saturated with Sewer's Aid in the thread guide, changed needles, used fewer holes in the 3 hole guide, reduced top tension, bought a top tension thread guage..and the best solution I have found is to use Affinity or Fantastico instead!!  Just saying....

I didn't have much luck with Rainbows either.  I have used Affinity without trouble (Glide's varigated).  I like the Magnifico, but have not tried the Fantastico yet.  Also like Lava.   I tried many brands, weights and types before finding the ones that work well with my machine.....Glide, Affinity, Lava, So Fine(all of them) Bottom Line, Omni.  I don't have the best luck with Metro, but have used it.,

Thanks for the tip guys on Fantastico.  The thread that I like is called "salsa" and there isn't one like it in the Fantastico line.  I think I might try it and if I have breakage issues I'll use it on my domestic.  I have used rainbows quite a bit with luck on my regular sewing machine at least.  If it gives  me troubles I'll try out Glide or Fantastico...I think it's pretty comparable in price for the variegated's at least.  :)

I have never had trouble with Rainbows.  I am sorry you have. I just loosen my top tension and use a 3.5 needle.  But my dear Milie is a strange one because she does not like Magna Glide bobbins at all.

Bekah - so funny how some seem to have troubles while others don't.  I am reading the mixed thoughts on the magna glide bobbins too!  I think if I have learned anything it's to TRY it out before buying a ton!!  :)

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I have learned SO much!

Isn't it strange that we can have the same machines, but they act differently with various threads?   I wonder if it has something to do with our environment.......temperature, humidity, heat, etc.    Before I traded for my Millennium, I had an HQ 16 and it LOVED King Tut.   I tried and tried to get King Tut to work in my Millie with no luck.   I can also use most all bobbins.....prewounds from Superior, my own and the Magna Glide.  

Valerie, are you removing the black spring in the bottom of the bottom case before using the Magna Glide bobbins?  

My shop here sells Affinity Mercerized cotton. That is all I have really tried since that is what he sells.  Just  looking at the Metro site, I know it is poly thread and a whole lot cheaper than what I have to pay now.  Would it work the same as my  cotton?  I just may have to switch over quickly for the price. Wow. 

I am new to longarming and I am still learning.

Connie

My shop here sells Affinity Mercerized cotton. That is all I have really tried since that is what he sells.  Just  looking at the Metro site, I know it is poly thread and a whole lot cheaper than what I have to pay now.  Would it work the same as my  cotton?  I just may have to switch over quickly for the price. Wow. 

I am new to longarming and I am still learning.

Connie

Connie, We all find our machines like and dislike certain threads (or loves them all) so it is with trial and error we find out what we like the most.  I am going to order some Sigma from Metro and give it a try.  I love, love, love Glide, but I'm going to try the Sigma with the prices they have going on.  If my Mabel doesn't like it I'll use it in my DM. There are no linty, fuzzy issues with the poly threads for me, and I like that. jmo

I was just reading recently how Superior modified Alex Anerson's Masterpiece thread from a two ply piecing thread to three ply.  I guess people were having difficulty with it in their machines - they said something about it mainly being a tension issue but rather than try to explain that to the masses they just changed the thread. 

I don't know for sure, but I have a suspicion this is the difference between Metro and Sigma.  I'm thinking Metro knows about the issues some have with it (it's a two ply thread) and I bet Sigma was strengthened by adding the extra ply.  Would also explain why it's less shiny.  I have a strong feeling that those of you who've had issues with Metro breaking might have better luck with Sigma.  Price sure is right.  :)

I'm bringing up this topic again because I am going the Mid-Atantic Quilt Show on Saturday and it is my goal this year to buy lots of different threads to try out on my longarm.  (I am a speech therapist in a public school and that has trained me to always have to have a plan and a goal.)  I have made a list based on the previous comments on this thread thread :)  Are there any other favorites that bear mentioning?  I am in a shopping mood!!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Metro thread a lot and never have a problem. But I can run ANY thread in my Millie. I've even run it with upholstery thread in the bobbin. Remember if your thread is shredding it's probably because the needle is too small. I always (almost always) use a size 4 needle.

I remember Sue Patten telling us she has used WIRE in her bobbin! YIKES! She said "yea, the techs just love to service my machine!" haha  :wacko:  :wacko:  :D

I just placed my order yesterday with metro - but I did order all Sigma threads.  I've got a feeling it's going to be a lot like Isacord, and that's my favorite thread.  *fingers crossed*  I've got three customer quilts waiting to be quilted with this thread...will let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for all of the input!!  :)

UPDATE!  Finally my Sigma thread came in!  (Actually, it was pretty quick, I'm impressed!)  I only ordered six 5000 m cones to start.  The shipping was a bit high, about $10.  But, hopefully if it sews well I'll be placing a bigger order next time.

Just as I had thought it might, it's appears to be virtually identical to Isacord thread.  I believe they are both three ply, and the sheen is the same.  I took a couple side by side pictures, if only the Sigma were on a green spool you wouldn't be able to tell the brands apart.  I'm going to use this in a quilt today so I'll let you know how it sews.

My only gripe is the colors are a bit different from the internet...I bought a color that I thought was going to be a copper, and when it arrived it's more of a peachy/orange coral color.  BUT, it was less than $3 ...so...not really a big deal.

post-10627-0-88698000-1363191597_thumb.jpg

post-10627-0-23280400-1363191603_thumb.jpg

Ok, for anyone interested, I finished a quilt with this thread!  I have to say, this is going to be my GO TO THREAD!!  I had no breakage on top, but I will say, I had two or three bobbin breaks.  I have my tension set pretty loose and I did go back through some posts on this forum and took some of Dawn's advice about checking the bobbin and the spring inside the bobbin.  I lifted the little springs?  Fingers?  Not sure what they are called, and while doing so I noticed that the thread was loaded pretty loosely and the bobbin was spongy.  So I don't think it's so much the thread but how I wound the bobbins.  There is something wrong with my bobbin winder and I just haven't had time to mess with it, so I've been winding on my featherweight.  I wound a few today at a faster speed and used my hand to add a bit more tension when winding so now they feel how I think they are supposed to.  If I have anymore breaks I'll mention it...

OH - and another difference I notice between Sigma and Isacord...Isacord seems softer somehow...for those of you who've used it you are probably familiar with how smoothly it runs.  Well, the Sigma seems a little more dry...not brittle...but I have half a mind to try some Sewer's Aid on it.  Other than that, it sews up virtually the same to me.

I haven't had the extra money yet as I'm just starting out and all my money has gone into other supplies I need...but I'm planning to try some of those Glide magna bobbins next with the Sigma on top.

For what it's worth!!  ;)

Archived