Hand applique vintage wreath quilt

AHuffman

This one I just finished and has a ton of borders. The top itself was made by my customer's late husband's Aunt. She did all the applique by hand and, unfortunately, used really, really thin fabrics. I explained that the quilt was not going to stand the test of time because those fabrics would rip sooner or later. She wanted it custom quilted. there was a lot of fullness in the appliquéd squares. I used a meander to draw up those spaces and try to even out the fullness.

berries-ws.jpg

The borders are all computerized quilting and the wreath blocks and red sashing is all freehand. I used Hobbs 80/20 for the batt and Sew Fine for the thread because I wanted the matt finish. The outer pink woven border is a Jessica Schick design.

The inner pink feathered border is also one of Jessica Schick's designs. 

berrries2.jpg

The large white border is one of my own designs called Sprout. It has the same leaf shape and folk art appeal that the wreaths themselves have so they look good together. 

The inner green skinny border and the outer skinny red border uses a freebie design from Digi-Tech. There are more photos over on my blog! Thanks for looking!

berries3.jpg

Archived