Quilting a quilt that all pieced points are chopped off...need advice

CindyT

I have a customer's sampler quilt that she wants custom quilted (however I see fit). Every pieced/appliqued block is different and every one of those except one has the points chopped off by about half an inch (so sad because everything else is perfect). I'm afraid if I try to quilt it like I normally do (cc's, tt's, SID, fill background to make the colors pop) to emphasize the piecing that it will just emphasize those chopped off points even worse. Am I right in thinking I should just do a repetitive type quilting in every one of those blocks (i.e. a feathered wreath) and leave the custom emphasis to doing something special in the plain setting blocks and borders? I just need some reassurance that I'm on the right track or not. Thanks in advance for your valuable advice!!!

post-3924-0-51937300-1361803712_thumb.jpg

Heidi, you can see the back of the quilt a little bit and it looks like 1/4" seams.  I never thought of someone purposely blunting the points.  Could be I suppose.  I like Bekah's idea of making the base of a curl there.  I agree that it is odd that one would do perfect piecing everywhere then cut off the points.  I have a perplexed look on my face.  :wacko:

I don't think much of anything is going to make these chopped off points better with these high contrast fabrics. Dawn Cavanaugh did an article in Fons and Porter about this issue, and she recommended doing CC's and creating a point where there should have been one, as Heidi suggested. I have had some quilts with this issue, and it worked pretty well. I might then feather the square around the flower print center to help bring the eye toward the center of the block. I don't know how she did this. It does look like her seams are 1/4 inch.

What I remember from taking Dawn's class was to go ahead and do the cc's.  Instead of stitching to the point, use the midpoint of the flat spot.  I've done that on quilts and it looks fine.  I think it actually hides the missing points,... to a point.  Ha Ha.  

Good luck Cindy.  I'm sure whatever you decide to do will add a lot to this quilt.  It's very pretty.  I love purple.

Heidi, you can see the back of the quilt a little bit and it looks like 1/4" seams.  I never thought of someone purposely blunting the points.  Could be I suppose.  I like Bekah's idea of making the base of a curl there.  I agree that it is odd that one would do perfect piecing everywhere then cut off the points.  I have a perplexed look on my face.  :wacko:

You know - was this a pattern or something she drew up herself in Electric Quilt or a similar program?  Maybe her math was off and she just didn't correct it.  Just a thought.  It looks from the picture like a lot of the triangles in the quilt are lopped off...I have a feeling those intermittent solid squares were cut the wrong size.

Here's a thought for those chopped-off points. Instead of CC's where you hit a mid-point or split the difference--stitch a long loop. The loop will fill the void where the flat spot is and still look pretty. I'll see if I can find a photo of what I mean. OK-here's a Moonglow with a loop instead of true CC's stitched in a long triangle. This is my go-to design for long triangles which sometimes are hard to hit the mark. I hope you can see what I mean about a loop--make it a fat loop to fill the space.

post-881-0-93630300-1361834069_thumb.jpg

I just went and measured the finished blocks.  They are 11 1/2" with generous 1/4" seams.  What I'm thinking is maybe she made 12 1/2" blocks and misread that they should be 12" (meaning "finished" size) and cut them down to 12".  Or maybe one of the blocks ended up being smaller and she cut the rest to the same size.  Who knows.  I just know she's a seasoned quilt maker and I can't see her doing this intentionally.  It's still a beautiful quilt top and I'm going to enjoy quilting it!

Thanks for all the ideas on how to minimize the chopped points.  You all gave me some great ideas to work with.  I truly appreciate it.

P. S. Kristina, I already used the Regal board on her last quilt and I try to make each quilts quilting different, but Regal crossed my mind initially!

Archived