AAAAGH! pantographs from front

lizziesgirl

Hi Sheryl---

If you love working from the front, you don't need pantos!!!!

Get really good at maybe 5 different overalls and go to town! I also do not like pantos and I have a library of overalls that I am comfortable doing. You can size them up and down easily and can still throw in a different design in sashings or borders.

The only down side would be if the thread matches the fabric, or if the top is busy---you may have a harder time seeing where you have been. Then the thing you need is a good side light! I turn off the overheads and the light on the machine and the stitching jumps out!

Pantos from the front would be hard as there is no place to put them to follow with the laser. Just my experience. Have fun!

Linda in Olympia

Hi Sheryl:) I know how you feel, but from the opposite side.

Working from the back is what I LOVE to do & pantographs are my thing, I really like how neat & tidy the panto makes the quilt look,

I've been practicing on working from the front, & my free-motion is getting better, but the back is where I'm comfy,

If I could find a way to get a tiny panto into a sash, that would be great, it would have be done from the front, so the stop & start would be in the right places, & that would be wonderful, but until then I just have to PPP my free hand, until I get so good that it looks like a panto.

Not sure that makes any sense, :D

I'm with Gerry. I love doing pantos:) Sheryl, it's probably just a matter of getting used to being at the back of the machine. It is different at first, but you can get used to it. Don't dismiss it altogether until you've tried it a few times, because after a few attempts you might find that you really enjoy doing pantos.

Gable

Thank you all for the support and I have done several pantos, I just love being able to see easily what I'm doing.

Teresa let me know when you figure out the wall thing, I am first in line to buy.

This is such a great place to vent. Its nice to have someone who understands.

What a cool bunch we are.

I love doing pantos. I've kind of set up a program for me to learn more advanced work with my machine by advancing the levels of the pantos I'll attempt. I'm still working on my own quilts so it's O.K. The practice with pantos is like a meditation for me. I love the sound of the machine whirring and sewing. I have now done one large quilt and a few smaller ones from the front but don't dismiss pantos especailly if you are just starting. Many customers will be able to afford pantos as opposed to custom work prices. I live in a rural area and some do not earn good wages.

Guest Linda S

I love it ALL! I like working from either side of the machine. Sure, it's nice when you work from the front and can sit down to quilt, but I dance when I do pantos at the back. Put on some tunes and boogie!

Linda

Leave it to Myrna to come up with something that works..I was hoping someone would try my idea and video tape it...post it to a web cast so we could all watch it. Now that would have been interesing...And Bonnie, I did think about the music concept, I was still trying to work that one out.

Okay, I have figured out a way to do it using a mirror, but you have to angle the mirror a little bit to get the up down motion you need. The problem I'm having is that it distorts the pattern so it is really long and skinny. I think the trick is to get the ratio exactly the same so that the number of inches the light moves up and down on the wall panto is exactly the same number of inches the foot moves on the fabric.

I'm a language arts teacher, I don't do well with math. Is anybody out there able to figure out what the angle on the mirror needs to be. Right now I have it at about a 70 degree angle.

Archived