Say some prayers for me, please....

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandra how did or should I say how are the treatments going?

Should you get skin burn from the radiation, get some 99% pure

aloe vera GEL  it is thicker than the juice, and soothes the burn

and promotes quick healing!

Please let me know??

I continue prayers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I finished my radiation treatments last Wednesday.  Today I met with my surgical oncologist and it looks like I will start chemo the last week in August.  Just before I was diagnosed with cancer in February, I booked a trip to Ireland and England for 19 days with a few friends - August 2 to August 21.  The doctor said I can go on the trip as long as I start the chemo within 12 weeks after my last radiation treatment and it will be between the 11th and the 12th weeks when I get back.

He actually wanted to start this week and have it done just before I left for vacation.  He said I should take a good book and plan to just relax everyday and have my husband tend to me and wait on me and I should be just fine.  When I told him (AGAIN) about the hiking in Ireland and England with friends - no husband - he said I would not be able to do it.  That's when he said I could start the chemo as soon as I got back, but I am pushing it to the limit according to the effective time schedule.  Urghhh!!!  I explained this to him twice before, as I could have cancelled up till June 4th and just lost my air fare and a $400 deposit.  He told me I could go, so I paid the balance (now all of it is non-refundable).  So, I plan to go on this vacation . 

He said with the type of cancer I have/had, a recurrence anywhere in my body will be incurable.  It would mean being on chemo on-going until my body rejected it.  But, with the chemo there is still no guarantee that it will even help.  I decided to do the chemo and hope that it helps, rather than have a re-occurance and look back and say I should have at least done the chemo and given myself a possible advantage.

The plan is for 3 rounds of chemo at 21 day intervals.  It would be administered by IV and each treatment would last about 5 hours, then I would come home.  The plan is for a hospital about 15 minutes from my house.  My husband can drive me there in the morning, go home, then return to pick me up after the treatment.  At least that part will be easy.

The surgeon said I would be back to normal about 6 months after the last treatment.

Thanks for your continued prayers and words of encouragement.  Rita, thanks for the aloe information.  As it turns out, I am OK after the radiation, other than some fatigue.

Hugs,

Sandra

Take that trip and have a ball Sandra!!! I believe it will do you a world of good. You will still be inside the 12 week timeline so go and don't worry. I honestly think that Elmer's frame of mind and outlook is what helped him stay ahead of the cancer.

You can worry yourself sick but it doesn't change the outcome....it only adds stress to your body. You should embrace life and enjoy every minute of it. This trip is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you deserve a break from "cancer life". You will be back in plenty of time to deal with the rest of your treatments and you will have lots of wonderful memories of Ireland and England to entertain yourself with during the chemo.

Go and have a blast for EVERY cancer patient that ever wanted to travel and couldn't!!!!!

At dinner tonight, my husband said we could go out on Halloween as twins - BOTH BALD!  I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or throw the chicken at him.  Well, we ate the chicken and had a laugh along with a tear or two.  I told our kids that story and my 2nd son said that he would go with us and we could be triplets.  LOL

Sandra

I am also of the opinion that the trip will do you a world of good. If you took the chemo before you would likely not be up to the strenuous task of mountain climbing etc. So go and do what you have planned and then deal with the chemo. I am praying for you and that you have a wonderful trip. My sister is a breast cancer survivor of almost 8 years now and she had both the radiation and chemo treatments with a similar prognosis. Attitude is everything , stay positive and think positive. It really does make a difference, We kidded her about having major attitude, and that is what got her through it . Lots of love and prayers. Jeanne

Archived